Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

How your lifestyle influences others'...

1 - 10 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

JaimieCS JaimieCS VIC Posts: 363
1 3 Jun 2011
So I already lived out of home when I went vegan, so my parents didn't play a role in my decision at all. My mum was pretty unhappy and my dad was furious (he's a farmer and felt it was an insult to his way of life).

Because I want to represent vegans as non-preachy etc. and to make it easier for myself to still enjoy social occasions, I've always been very careful to not let my decision to be vegan affect anything else. So when I ate at other people's house I didn't ask them to make anything vegan and if entertained, to begin with i still cooked meat and cheese for people. And mum used to ask me to cook for her dinner parties a lot and I would make whatever menu she asked for.

Then gradually I started only making vegetarian food for people and now I will only cook vegan food for people. Recently my mum asked me if I'd cook for her party and I said I'd only cook vegan food and she got quite upset, and I was also asked to nanny temporarily by an old employer and I said I'd only cook vegan food for her kids. She didn't mind so much but she she was very skeptical.

There isn't really a point to this post except that I'm glad that I'm holding more strongly to my views.
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
2 3 Jun 2011
^.^ Good on you. Yeah, I only cook vegan for my friends, and so far they LOVE IT. I think a couple of them are even considering making the change.
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
3 3 Jun 2011
Showing Earthlings to a friend two nights ago made him change his opinion of animals.

I put on my forum about the Live Export issue and he said he wouldn't sign the petition, because it would hurt the Australian economy. My boyfriend and I linked him to the film, he watched it all.

The next day, he said that the film really effected him and that going vegetarian would be the way to go. He said he was turned off from going to Maccas.

I asked him a few months back if he was interested in tasting some vegetarian food and he said no. I asked him last night. He said yes.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
4 3 Jun 2011
Since going vegan I've gotten 4 people to start making the change to vegetarian. I'm not preachy, but when people hear I'm vegan they ask questions, so I answer them. One person has successfully gone vegetarian, and often speaks of going vegan, she drinks my soy milk all the time, and talks about how certain foods should have vegan versions (like Maltesers. Haha) Another is pescetarian who rarely eats fish, one is vegetarian, but will eat meat when she's drunk, and the last is making the change slowly. happy

I refuse to cook anything that's not vegan too. Although, I sometimes make mum coffee with dairy milk in it.
ReplyQuote

5 3 Jun 2011
My housemates drink soy milk now, but unfortunately i think my veganism hasn't influenced anyone in the right direction very much. I think my one vegetarian friend reduces her dairy a little more. that's something I guess.
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
6 3 Jun 2011
I think having a vegetarian/vegan dinner party would be fun. Get all dressed up, cook your friends lots of different dishes (like a table buffet) so they can try a few different things.

My boyfriend and I have thought about doing this.
There was a time that I was feeling really down in the dumps about people eating meat and my boyfriend was the one to suggest it, so people can see that vegetarian food is delicious, so I wouldn't feel so alone.
ReplyQuote

EarthDefender EarthDefender QLD Posts: 270
7 4 Jun 2011
I'm trying to encourage people to have meat free days on fb....here's my idea...

Write up a whole day's meal plan and post it on the weekend...that way it can be a meat free Monday. Maybe I'll resurrect my blog. I'll post the best vegetarian foods to begin with and then gradually start adding some vegan meals without people realising!

Hopefully this can help influence peopleecstatic
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
8 4 Jun 2011
Well. because of me I've had numerous friends go Vegan (sadly none of them stayed vegan for long, but a year minimum is alright) I've influenced people to eat better, my Dad only eats meat occasionally now and would choose a Vegan meal over another available meal.

And on a non-vegan subject, I've influenced people to be themselves, be something different from the normal, I've influenced people to go bi and then one going gay a few years later (I didn't influence those things on purpose at all, it just happened)

I love it. The power of one. And meat eaters think one person cant make a difference. ^^
ReplyQuote

9 8 Jun 2011
So it turns out the family I was housekeeping for - one of the daughters wants to be vegetarian and her parents won't let her...

I cooked three vegan meals -

My version of eggplant parma, which is baked crusted eggplant, topped with Moroccan beans and avocado, with salad and brown rice. They said they were still hungry after dinner so the next night I made -

Dukkah crusted roast pumpkin, roasted chickpeas with cumin & coriander, sesame seeds, cashews and almonds, fried green beans and saffron rice. And an apple pie.

Next night, Panang curry with potato, sweet potato and mung dahl. More saffron rice and lemon pepper spiced roast zucchini and carrots. For dessert, upside down pineapple cake with passionfruit and spiced orange layers.

They were really pleased with all the food, so I hope I proved that vegan food can be tasty and filling.

One of my friends went vegetarian after watching the live export stuff, which is great, and I think the thing that pushed him over was that two of his closer friends, my sister and I are already veg. So that's one.

I feel like I should do more. I try so hard not to be annoying or preachy that the most effort I make is to always cook really good vegan food, and to make sure I'm healthy as a good example.
ReplyQuote

katherooni katherooni SA Posts: 209
10 8 Jun 2011
JaimieCS said:
So it turns out the family I was housekeeping for - one of the daughters wants to be vegetarian and her parents won't let her...

I cooked three vegan meals -

My version of eggplant parma, which is baked crusted eggplant, topped with Moroccan beans and avocado, with salad and brown rice. They said they were still hungry after dinner so the next night I made -

Dukkah crusted roast pumpkin, roasted chickpeas with cumin & coriander, sesame seeds, cashews and almonds, fried green beans and saffron rice. And an apple pie.

Next night, Panang curry with potato, sweet potato and mung dahl. More saffron rice and lemon pepper spiced roast zucchini and carrots. For dessert, upside down pineapple cake with passionfruit and spiced orange layers.

They were really pleased with all the food, so I hope I proved that vegan food can be tasty and filling.

One of my friends went vegetarian after watching the live export stuff, which is great, and I think the thing that pushed him over was that two of his closer friends, my sister and I are already veg. So that's one.

I feel like I should do more. I try so hard not to be annoying or preachy that the most effort I make is to always cook really good vegan food, and to make sure I'm healthy as a good example.
even though I'm 25....wanna come and babysit me? lucky kids, sounds delish!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au