Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Losing weight and veganism.

Is it hard to maintain?

1 - 10 of 24 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Shavvy Shavvy QLD Posts: 178
1 6 Jun 2011
Hey guys, so one of the other benefits to going vegan has been I am finally dropping that extra 5-10kg I was carrying around for the last 8ish years. I have a 7mo old baby and After having him I quickly got to 75kg (I am 5'9 and usually sit at 73kg) but I wasn't losing anymore I sat at 74kg for like 4-5 months. Then I went vegan and about a month after that I joined the gym. Now in 4 weeks of gym-ing I have lost 5kg and seem to be losing around a kg a week. I don't want to be less then 67kg, but I have already hit 69kg. Did any vegan out there find it hard to maintain their weight when they went vegan?? What happens when I get to 67kg and don't want to lose anymore? What do I do??
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
2 6 Jun 2011
First of all, I personally wouldn't be too worried about dropping a little below of 67. I'm nearly 5'11, and weight about 65 kg.
I actually am finding it hard to lose weight as a vegan. I'd like to lose 1.5-2kg and just tone my body up a bit.

I also think that so long as you are eating well and getting a healthy amount of exercise, your body will find its healthiest weight and shape and won't change much from that.
>.< Or you could just eat more of the nommy vegan junk foods. Haha.

But seriously, if you are worrying about being underweight, just make sure you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet and eat not at set mealtimes, but when your body tells you that you're hungry, until you don't feel hungry anymore.
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
3 6 Jun 2011
i lost some weight when i became vegan and stayed steady then when i became pregnant i lost it all again from breastfeeding and i am again at the same weight and dont seem to be loosing anymore which is good happy

i wouldnt worry you might find it will slow down once your body adjust to going to the gym and what not
ReplyQuote

EarthDefender EarthDefender QLD Posts: 270
4 6 Jun 2011
Jealous!

Though I've found since going vegan I am maintaining my weight. Before it would creep up and then I'd diet and exercise hard core to drop it. Lovely cycle:-/

Just up your calories if you are concerned. There is a cool app on the iPhone called 'my fitness pal'. It's also a website. But you enter the food you eat and it tells u how many calories uve eaten. It helps you work towards different goals ucan set: lose weight, gain weight or maintain weighthappy

See if that helpshappy
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
5 6 Jun 2011
I have only been vegan since the start of the year and I have found that my weight pretty well stays the same. I am just under 6 foot tall, and it usually stays at around 70kg - 73kg. I don't do any intensive exercise though, just walking and the occasional jog happy
So I am guessing if you don't want to lose anymore weight, then you are most likely going to the gym to tone your body? I'm no expert on this lol but I think you should be trying to do more slower paced exercises which focus on building muscle.
I don't think you are really doing anything wrong though. As most websites say for losing weight and building muscle that you should eat a lot of fruits and veges, which being vegan I assume you are already doing  laugh
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
6 6 Jun 2011
my weight hasn't changed since my diet change. I still over eat and still battle with trying to lose weight. tongue
ReplyQuote

IGIRL IGIRL WA Posts: 35
7 6 Jun 2011
Tanyaka said:
my weight hasn't changed since my diet change. I still over eat and still battle with trying to lose weight. tongue
same
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
8 6 Jun 2011
I lost 8kg when I first became vegan (I'd put weight on when I was vegetarian due to all that cheese & cracker eating, lol). I can now maintain my weight easily and don't exercise.

I've found that I put on weight if I'm eating lots of "mock" meats and processed food.
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
9 3 Jul 2011
ckimana said:
I lost 8kg when I first became vegan (I'd put weight on when I was vegetarian due to all that cheese & cracker eating, lol). I can now maintain my weight easily and don't exercise.

I've found that I put on weight if I'm eating lots of "mock" meats and processed food.
I have this problem...I'm eating too many processed foods lately. I need to get back to basics!
Anyone have any favourite healthy low-calorie meals?
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
10 3 Jul 2011
Aimee said:
Anyone have any favourite healthy low-calorie meals?
Veggie soup!
broccoli
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au