Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

A Query.

1 - 10 of 85 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  

BEANYXVX BEANYXVX VIC Posts: 66
1 14 Jun 2011
This has been bothering me for a little while, and I thought I'd post it here and leave it up for discussion among my peers. This is not intended as a flame, more so an opportunity to clarify some things I've been unsure about...

We hear a lot about supplementing our diets with other foods of similar nutritious value while we make the transition from eating meat to being vegetarian or vegan. I know a lot of meat eater's that go vegetarian for moral reasons but replace meat in their diets with more milk and cheese than they'd usually consume... My query is that vegetarian philosophy is clearly against animal cruelty yet it is well known that the dairy industry is more cruel than the meat industry, as "used up" dairy cows go to the slaughterhouse, after being subjected to debasing abuse, etc (we all know the story). If everyone is supplementing animal protein (from meat) with more animal protein (from cheese/milk/yoghurt/cream) for their vegetarian diet, are they not causing (supporting) more harm to animals than they were when they ate meat?

This has probably been addressed, I'm just interested in what people have to say.

And for those that haven't seen this lecture by Gary Yourofsky. Please give it a watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
2 14 Jun 2011
This isn't as harsh as when I first appeared on this site. The first thread I came across was lashing out at vegetarians for being 'selfish' and 'ignorant' and other, nasty words.

Perhaps vegetarians are ignorant, as I was when I used to be one. I had no idea what was happening in the dairy industry, it didn't occur to me once that there was any sort of cruelty involved.

There are some vegetarians that are aware of these atrocities but are unfortunately not in a position to make changes to their diet, and we shouldn't judge them for that.

There are people that are convinced that their diet doesn't affect anyone or anything, or that some particular animals do not feel pain. An example of one of these people is my sibling who, after being a vegetarian for a while, was convinced by a doctor that she needed fish to survive. Apparently fish do not feel pain, or not as much pain as other animals when slaughtered.
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
3 14 Jun 2011
Since going vegetarian, I don't think I am consuming any more dairy than what I used too. I am actually eating a greater variety of vegetables and lentils.

And I am very aware about the dairy industry, I watched Earthlings.
I think it is unreasonable to expect a meat eater to go straight to being vegan. It would be good to go vegan eventually, but I like to think I am making a difference. happy
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
4 14 Jun 2011
I went straight to Vegan, so I don't know what it's like, but those who do consume more dairy products to replace the missing protein they got from meat usually don't know about the cruel dairy industry.
But there are also those who do know of the cruel dairy industry (this includes one of my friends who is big against animal cruelty) and these people often think it's too difficult to go Vegan, or have the lack of knowledge to do so (not trying to offend anyone at all!) so they don't think about it.

I hope that answered your question, I wasn't exactly sure what you were asking.
ReplyQuote

AliceinWhorrorland AliceinWhorrorland VIC Posts: 95
5 14 Jun 2011
Personally, the only reason I'm not vegan now is because my mum doesn't even approve of me being vegetarian, I just keep refusing meat.
ReplyQuote

mushroomfeilds mushroomfeilds SA Posts: 320
6 14 Jun 2011
thats why i went vegan because i think its hypocritical to support the dairy industries and then say you care about how animals are treated, especially with how easy it is to go vegan now. there are so many products, you hardly need to lose any of your favourite treats and all basic stuff is at the super market now.

in saying that i understand that some people are unable to go vegan because of their situation and i really hope that they do soon. but if its just because its too hard then i think thats a massive cop out and they are quite hypocritical but something is better than nothinghappy
ReplyQuote

7 14 Jun 2011
Jordanwts said:
I went straight to Vegan, so I don't know what it's like, but those who do consume more dairy products to replace the missing protein they got from meat usually don't know about the cruel dairy industry.
But there are also those who do know of the cruel dairy industry (this includes one of my friends who is big against animal cruelty) and these people often think it's too difficult to go Vegan, or have the lack of knowledge to do so (not trying to offend anyone at all!) so they don't think about it.

I hope that answered your question, I wasn't exactly sure what you were asking.
Wasn't so much a question as it was posing a dilemma for people to reflect upon. I guess I mainly posted this wondering why people embrace this contradiction, or if they have any reasoning as to why they don't think consuming dairy goes against everything they're trying to stand for.
ReplyQuote

mushroomfeilds mushroomfeilds SA Posts: 320
8 14 Jun 2011
oh. because some people arent comfortable with something dying for them but dont mind the abuse. as long as it hasnt been killed its alright. ive heard that i few times.
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
9 14 Jun 2011
When I was Vegetarian, I had no idea about what really went on in the dairy industry (and egg), and was "brainwashed" (probably not the best word but I can't think of anything else right now) by the industry, and people with their pictures of happy cows in huge fields, the lies that you need dairy to be healthy, that milk = good and that cows liked being milked by humans.
Once I "woke up" and saw the truth, I became Vegan.

So I'd say - in most cases - it's just that Vegetarians don't know.
ReplyQuote

10 14 Jun 2011
My parents hate my brother and me being vegan. Before I moved out of home they'd pay us out at the dinner table, sometimes they even go so far as to count how many animals had to die so they could eat that night. Their lack of support didn't stop us going vegan, we took some initiative, ignored the criticisms and started making our own meals and getting involved with animal rights groups, when everyone in our lives were telling us we shouldn't care. Point is; you'll always have a million excuses not to do something, try to think about the reasons you should do something.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au