Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Processed Vegan Foods

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Shonnie Shonnie NSW Posts: 237
1 29 Jun 2011
Just a question that I have been pondering for a while... I'm currently working on going vegan and replacing a lot of animal products with cruelty free ones and in doing that I have become very conscious on what I am putting into my body, particularly processed food. Whilst I'm replacing dairy and egg products I'm also replacing more refined foods too back to their raw products, eg white bread to homemade wholegrain or wholemeal and Nuttelex to avocado but what I am concerned about is how processed replacement vegan foods are and what is exactly in them. I recently purchased Tofutti Better than Sour Cream, which I had in my curry tonight and boy was it yummy!, but skimming over the ingredients (of which there are several) I don't like how there was potassium sorbate as a preservative, isolated soy protein, hydrogenated soy bean oil etc etc. That's a lot of processed ingredients :s, of which I'm not totally impressed about. Could someone please enlighten me as to how these could affect my health, good or bad?
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
2 29 Jun 2011
they do have a lot of ingredients! but i think if you have them occasionally you shouldn't worry
everything in moderation happy
though toffutti ice cream especially vanilla fudge would be my weakness right now happy
ReplyQuote

birdie birdie VIC Posts: 393
3 29 Jun 2011
why not try making your own sour cream with silken tofu next time.. there are a few recipes floating around on the net for it.. i certainly agree with what's been said already.. moderation is your best bet happy
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
4 29 Jun 2011
I tried making this a few weeks ago and it tasted really good and was super easy to make.
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6985.0
Though to me it tasted more like greek style yoghurt rather than sour cream.
It was still really good on burritos and tacos happy

To the original post - I agree everything in moderation. Though if you can be bothered and have the time, you will find that most processed foods can be quite easily mimicked at home.
ReplyQuote

Michelle 2.0 Michelle 2.0 QLD Posts: 42
5 30 Jun 2011
Yeah, I kind of don't see the point of being a vegan if you're going eat nothing but the processed alternatives. In the same way it's healthier to eat organic chicken as opposed to a stick of salami, I only eat substitute meats like once every three months or something, and I'm not really a big fan of soy cheese or yoghurt or ice-cream or any of that. Health consciousness aside, all those processed alternatives are usually made in different countries and require a lot of importing, and then they're all packaged in so much plastic. Ecologically it doesn't seem worth it.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
6 30 Jun 2011
Well done Shonnie swapping to wholegrains. That's the first thing I did too, it's so much healthier.

It's pretty scary to think of what's in all the processed foods with all those chemicals, preservatives etc. I used to limit processed foods but lately I have been eating quite a lot as my bf is omni and I'd rather he eat that than meat. But all in moderation I guess!
ReplyQuote

lividlotus lividlotus NSW Posts: 301
7 1 Jul 2011
Along with what everyone else has mentioned so far, moderation is key. If you're mostly going with less processed foods already, I think that's a super plus.
I'd try to stick with that, and maybe on some occasions you could include the 'veg meats'. Essentially I think it's best we all tried to eat less of processed foods, but they're for convenience; already made and all you have to do is heat them up.
ReplyQuote

Shavvy Shavvy QLD Posts: 178
8 2 Jul 2011
Yep, everything in moderation. I still eat oreos occasionally, I buy mock meats such as nutmeat every few weeks. And I eat other junk too. Not as much as I used to that is for sure, but I still do.

A very interesting movie I watch a year or 2 ago. Opened my eyes in a lot of ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzDHGLEUyw
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
9 2 Jul 2011
Shavvy said:
A very interesting movie I watch a year or 2 ago. Opened my eyes in a lot of ways.

Just finished watching it. Absolutely amazing, yet so obvious... Nature knows best!
butterfly

I'm going to share that movie around.
ReplyQuote

Shavvy Shavvy QLD Posts: 178
10 2 Jul 2011
Dark Cherry said:
Shavvy said:

Just finished watching it. Absolutely amazing, yet so obvious... Nature knows best!
butterfly

I'm going to share that movie around.
Awesome! Glad to be of service... I think everyone needs to watch it!
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au