Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Reasons to go dairy free.

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Shavvy Shavvy QLD Posts: 178
1 30 Jun 2011
I found this today, and although it is a long read, I think it covers a lot of ground on the reasons to be dairy free.

http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html

I tried to find a thread related to going dairy free but I couldn't I think everyone should post what they have on living a dairy free lifestyle and why to give up dairy here. Because I know for a fact (as a vegan of a few months, and a dairy loving vegetarian of 20+ yrs) that people really just have no clue about the awfulness of dairy and the dairy/veal industry.

I think people need to know the facts on what foods they can turn to when they go dairy free.

I personally use the following:

*Oat milk in place of any milk (cereal, hot drinks, cookie dunking)
*Nuttelex in place of margarine and butter. (melts awesomely, tastes delicious)
*Toffuti better then cream cheese in place of cream/sour cream.
*Sheese and cheezly in place of cheese for sandwiches/pizza/pasta. (sheese melts better)
*So good ice cream and also sorbet for a frozen dessert treat.
*Yeast flakes for cheese sauce and sprinkling over pasta.

There are loads more easy tasty substitutes. And in all honesty, I was THE BIGGEST cheese-aholic and I do not miss it at all. Not on pizza, not in sandwiches, not at all.
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
2 30 Jun 2011
using cashews and almonds blended with water makes for a good creamy substitute in dishes, cashew especially can give a cheesy sensation

im so keen to try make nut cheese
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
3 30 Jun 2011
rice milk is much nicer than soy, and oat milk is much nicer than rice milk.
I am still to find a drink I can drink as quickly as normal milk though.

I like quenching my thirst and hunger (if any) all at once in the shortest amount of time.. baha.
finding something I can drink a heap of .. quickly; I am still on the look out for.

even oat milk makes me queezy if I drink it fast. I like it quite a bit though,
usually buy a carton when i'm out and about and drink it room temperature :p
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
4 1 Jul 2011
Casper.s2 said:
rice milk is much nicer than soy, and oat milk is much nicer than rice milk.
I am still to find a drink I can drink as quickly as normal milk though.
Try Sanitarium So Nice soy milk (it's in the isle with all the other UHT milk, not in the fridge section) It definitely tastes the most like dairy milk imo.
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
5 1 Jul 2011
Woolworths Macro soy milk is the best I have had yet!

and I bet to differ on the rice milk.. yuck!!!!!
ReplyQuote

katherooni katherooni SA Posts: 209
6 1 Jul 2011
I'd really like to try oat milk, whats a good brand??
I drink bonsoy soy milk, its pretty pricey but I use 'milk' only for coffee and it froths really well and doesnt overpower the coffee taste.
I've had rice milk and almond milk...I thought they were both a bit yuck
ReplyQuote

7 1 Jul 2011
I have only had almond milk once, which was in a cup of black tea, then I tipped the $7 carton down the sink. I later found out, that apparently almond milk tastes foul in black tea, but is quite nice other wise. But oh well, too late now, I have found oat, and I love it. I just use whatever I grab. Usually vitasoy oat milk I think.
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
8 1 Jul 2011
Shavvy said:
I have only had almond milk once, which was in a cup of black tea, then I tipped the $7 carton down the sink. I later found out, that apparently almond milk tastes foul in black tea, but is quite nice other wise. But oh well, too late now, I have found oat, and I love it. I just use whatever I grab. Usually vitasoy oat milk I think.
Oat milk? Is it expensive? I'm thinking of trying some…
ReplyQuote

9 1 Jul 2011
Nah it's about $2-$3 for a liter carton happy Similar price as soy, but better for you.

Check this out...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/267017-what-are-the-benefits-of-oat-milk/

Tasty and nutritious happy
ReplyQuote

xAshlee xAshlee TAS Posts: 722
10 1 Jul 2011
thanks 4 posting!

i find rice milk too watery & sugary for anything really....except maybe occasionally cooking or cereal.
just got my oat milk this week - too expensive & not as many vitamins as so good,

I tried So nice - it was milky but it had some fake flavour like vanilla or saccharin...but it wasnt horrible...just a little aftertase

I think ill stick to So Good soymilks..... its the only fortified milk i've found with 'all iingredients are of non-animal origin' .....just makes it feel safer

I would recommend Tufutti better than cream cheese ....but the bone char thing in thier sugar  has now put me off.......
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au