Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Retailers Relax on Mulesing

The Weekly Times 10th Aug

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Cheryl2 Cheryl2 WA Posts: 22
1 19 Aug 2011
Can anyone tell me where the law stands on mulesing? I thought it was going to be banned in 2010, what happened? British retailers are no longer telling Australian wool growers to stop mulesing. This practice is so barbaric, What can we do?
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
2 19 Aug 2011
i thought it was to be banned in 2010 aswell sad can some please correct me if i am wrong?
ReplyQuote

Andrewxxx Andrewxxx VIC Posts: 272
3 19 Aug 2011
Cheryl2 said:
Can anyone tell me where the law stands on mulesing? I thought it was going to be banned in 2010, what happened? British retailers are no longer telling Australian wool growers to stop mulesing. This practice is so barbaric, What can we do?
It was going to be a voluntary ban by the farmers groups as far as I know. Can't look for the article because of the "Murdoch Block" on google chrome but it wouldn't shock me if the only reason they still want to do it is to spite animal rights groups
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
4 21 Aug 2011
it was never banned simply supposed to be phased out on december 31st 2010
this was cancelled in november 2010 and mulesing continues
ReplyQuote

Ashlyn Ashlyn WA Posts: 104
5 23 Aug 2011
Hm..My dad is a shearer..and the other day i asked him about mulesing, because when i was growing up i hadn't witnessed it so i thought maybe he had never done it before..but he actually did.
Ii asked him why it hadn't been stopped yet and he said there was no other way to prevent the flies from gettin em.and he went on to say that apparently the sheep dont mind sitting there getting their skin cut off apparently they just sit there and he went on to say that it was worse for them when they got tags put in their ears because they go crazy and kick and stuff....and then i said to him...off course the sheep is gonna sit there.its in horrible pain.its getting skin cut right off of it!!..is not like when we break our arms or something we go thrashing about..would make sense that its gonna kick when it get its ears pierced...geez..anyway..that put him in his place..he didn't have a comeback for that one..
So yeah.. that's apparently how they see it...apparently they dont mind having their skin cut off em ....pffft..load of bs. would like to see them be held down while i cut skin off them!  angry
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
6 23 Aug 2011
Ashlyn said:
Hm..My dad is a shearer..and the other day i asked him about mulesing, because when i was growing up i hadn't witnessed it so i thought maybe he had never done it before..but he actually did.
Ii asked him why it hadn't been stopped yet and he said there was no other way to prevent the flies from gettin em.and he went on to say that apparently the sheep dont mind sitting there getting their skin cut off apparently they just sit there and he went on to say that it was worse for them when they got tags put in their ears because they go crazy and kick and stuff....and then i said to him...off course the sheep is gonna sit there.its in horrible pain.its getting skin cut right off of it!!..is not like when we break our arms or something we go thrashing about..would make sense that its gonna kick when it get its ears pierced...geez..anyway..that put him in his place..he didn't have a comeback for that one..
So yeah.. that's apparently how they see it...apparently they dont mind having their skin cut off em ....pffft..load of bs. would like to see them be held down while i cut skin off them!  angry
Not to mention that they TIE THEM up! How the hell is a sheep supposed to move and kick when it is tied up?
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
7 23 Aug 2011
I've grown up with sheep, and have dealt with fly blown sheep many times. We always crutch our sheep, in August/September you simply shear the wool in that area, and the flies won't be attracted too them. If the sheep is already fly blown, then crutch her anyway, it's disgusting dealing with the maggots, but it's better than a slow painful death.

Mulesing is a lazy cruel method. Crutching takes time, but it's humane, and the sheep don't at all suffer for it.
ReplyQuote

8 23 Aug 2011
Maggie said:
I've grown up with sheep, and have dealt with fly blown sheep many times. We always crutch our sheep, in August/September you simply shear the wool in that area, and the flies won't be attracted too them. If the sheep is already fly blown, then crutch her anyway, it's disgusting dealing with the maggots, but it's better than a slow painful death.

Mulesing is a lazy cruel method. Crutching takes time, but it's humane, and the sheep don't at all suffer for it.
What if a farmer has hundreds of sheep? And what if they can't afford to hire other workers? Im against muelsing as much as you are, btu just wondering…?
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
9 23 Aug 2011
Pegs said:
Maggie said:

What if a farmer has hundreds of sheep? And what if they can't afford to hire other workers? Im against muelsing as much as you are, btu just wondering…?
Then raise sheep that don't grow much wool (dorper, for example) and therefore is not prone to being fly blown. Or learn how to shear yourself, and dedicate one or two days every August to crutch the sheep. 1 minute per sheep isn't very much. You'd get them all done relatively quickly.

Edit: I don't know how to shear, and I've crutched maggot infested sheep. It's not hard, and doesn't take long.
ReplyQuote

10 23 Aug 2011
Don't you hate it when farmers put up 'show' thingys at fairs, and they shear some sheep, and they fling them around everywhere, then they practically throw them into another pen and grab the next one. Grrrr…
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au