Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Live Animals forced to give birth at Melbourne Show!

Please sign this petition and protest details to come soon

1 - 10 of 25 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
1 16 Sep 2011
Hey everyone, please sign this petition, forcing animals to give birth is not only unnatural but animal cruelty. We believe the animals are being drugged to induce faster birth so a constant rate of animals are born for human entertainment, regardless of whether this is the case it is still animal abuse.

We will be having a protest at the melbourne show this year so we will post info later!

LINK HERE TO PETITION: http://www.change.org/petitions/fancy-forcing-farmed-animals-to-give-birth-in-front-of-noisy-crowds-how-wrong

PETITION LETTER :

It has come to my attention that during the course of the Melbourne Show (Victoria, Australia) which commences on September 24th, animals such as sheep, llamas and goats are forced to give birth in small enclosures, in a noisy shed in front of crowds of people. I find this quite disturbing and believe it exhibits utter contempt for such animals who have been deprived of the right to give birth in a less stressful environment. I don't believe small pens in a large shed in front of noisy people would be classed as a normal, stress free environment.

To expect animals to give birth in an environment such as a large, noisy shed in small pens with no privacy is truly disrespectful, and clearly ignores the needs of pregnant animals.

I understand that the idea behind farmed animals birthing at the Melbourne Show is to educate those who would ordinarily not have the opportunity to witness a farmed animal give birth, however surely those who organise for these pregnant animals to be housed in small pens to birth in full view of people at the Melbourne Show must know that this is an extremely distressing experience for animals.

I firmly believe that animals giving birth in such conditions is in breach of Section 9 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 (POCTA)

I ask that the Melbourne Show consider not having pregnant animals birthing in such contrived surroundings.

I trust that you decide to make the appropriate, ethical decision.

2 17 Sep 2011
please sign and help animals! Its kind of laughable the posts about food have more feedback than an actual way to help animals....
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
3 17 Sep 2011
Hmm. I've worked at the animal farm at the show before.. a few years ago.. and I have no idea if they induce or not, but it seemed that whether the animals gave birth in time for an audience or not was hit or miss.. people would wait hours and stuff and they do tell the crowd to be quiet.

The farmers seemed to genuinely care for the animals.. but yea, there is always something negative whenever animals are involved. They may care for them now, but what happens when they are older?
ReplyQuote

4 17 Sep 2011
it goes against EVERYTHING that is natural for farm animals, they give birth in private and make nests for their young, at the show they hold on to try and avoid birth being watched until they can't hold it in anymore.
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
5 17 Sep 2011
Signed!
How terrible. If people want to see an animal giving birth, I'm sure an internet search would provide plenty of clips and photos.
Noisy or not, no being should give birth in that sort of environment. Birth is a very personal experience, not to be shared with prying eyes - imo.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
6 17 Sep 2011
Yuck! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
ReplyQuote

KittyLover KittyLover VIC Posts: 281
7 17 Sep 2011
Done. It's so sad for the poor mums, being heavily pregnant is hard on anyone, and these poor mums have all the extra stress, screaming kids, unfamiliar surrounds. How sad sad
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
8 17 Sep 2011
SIGNED! AND IM PASSING IT ON!
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
9 19 Sep 2011
Just wrote a blog post about this over at www.VeganTasmania.com Hopefully a few more people will sign and be aware.

http://www.vegantasmania.com/2011/09/royal-melbourne-show-shame-abusing.html
ReplyQuote

Nathan Nathan VIC Posts: 148
10 20 Sep 2011
I go to the Melbourne Show every year. I've always hated the birthing section though. Like you said, it's in a very noisy area with big crowds of people all gathering around. Disgusting and wrong. Signed.

Would be great to see you guys there protesting. happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au