Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Are you vegetarian if you eat fish?

Simple question

1 - 10 of 22 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Raynee Marie Raynee Marie SA Posts: 25
1 13 Oct 2011
Real simple question that I don't know that answer to. Are you vegetarian if you eat fish? Yes or No? paw
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
2 13 Oct 2011
No. Vegetarians do not eat any meat. Fish are animals, not vegetables.
ReplyQuote

4 13 Oct 2011
Thank you. I have been having a debate about this with my mum. She thinks it's Ok. I don't! Thank you guys paw
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
5 13 Oct 2011
You could try explaining to your mother that fish are sentient animals and so they feel pain. Also mention how being Vegetarian is important to you and you're serious about it.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
6 13 Oct 2011
The term for someone who eats no meat other than fish is pescetarian, not vegetarian.
ReplyQuote

7 13 Oct 2011
Yeah I will and thanks you all happy paw
ReplyQuote

PurpleFae PurpleFae NSW Posts: 283
8 13 Oct 2011
The correct term your mum is looking for is called "pescetarianism". Some sources reference this as 'semi-vegetarian'. So the only meat product you consume is seafood.

Bit more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

Due to what we have discovered now on our cool creatures of the sea, the idea of this form of diet being part of the vegetarian diet varieties is out of date.

Once upon a time when we didn't know if fish etc could feel pain, this diet seemed to make sense as part of the vegetarian varieties. Science have provided us with evidence that they do but the myth still lives on (I had the same fight with my mum when I first went vego).

I think this may be due to the fact that our generations were brought up in science classes that know this fact, whereas our parents weren't. So unless your parent is into looking up cool new science discoveries, they are less likely to let go of the myth.
ReplyQuote

9 13 Oct 2011
PurpleFae said:
The correct term your mum is looking for is called "pescetarianism". Some sources reference this as 'semi-vegetarian'. So the only meat product you consume is seafood.

Due to what we have discovered now on our cool creatures of the sea, the idea of this form of diet being part of the vegetarian diet varieties is out of date.

Once upon a time when we didn't know if fish etc could feel pain, this diet seemed to make sense as part of the vegetarian varieties. Science have provided us with evidence that they do but the myth still lives on (I had the same fight with my mum when I first went vego).

I think this may be due to the fact that our generations were brought up in science classes that know this fact, whereas our parents weren't. So unless your parent is into looking up cool new science discoveries, they are less likely to let go of the myth.
Yeah I talked to my mum about this today and she believes that if I eat fish I won't be veg so shes agreed that I don't have to. Although going off meat has thrown my family a bit, my mum think that its not good for me and is taking me to the doctors as she wants me to go on iron tablets to replace the meat but doesn't want me to go on them without doctors approval, even the thought of eating meat now makes me fill suck. paw
ReplyQuote

10 13 Oct 2011
Animals Are My Life! said:
PurpleFae said:

Yeah I talked to my mum about this today and she believes that if I eat fish I won't be veg so shes agreed that I don't have to. Although going off meat has thrown my family a bit, my mum think that its not good for me and is taking me to the doctors as she wants me to go on iron tablets to replace the meat but doesn't want me to go on them without doctors approval, even the thought of eating meat now makes me fill suck. paw
Feel* paw
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au