Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Criticism... from meat eaters.

1 - 10 of 21 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Madixoxoxo Madixoxoxo QLD Posts: 31
1 29 Oct 2011
I told a friend of mine today that I'd turned vegetarian. She asked me why now... after 24 years of eating meat, why would I turn vegetarian now. I told her I'd done some research, watched a few documentaries/books about exactly what happens, and that I morally didn't agree with something having to die in order to feed me. Perfectly reasonable I think. So what if it's been 24 years. Better to change now than not at all. Still... I like this person a lot. She's lovely... but why the judgement about me changing now? Why should it matter?

It just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure many others have encountered the same thing. How do you deal with it, without either going on a rant... or being angry. LOL. Just curious.
ReplyQuote

Cow Hugger Cow Hugger SA Posts: 346
2 29 Oct 2011
i don't think I've ever been asked why now, but i would just tell her exactly what you have said.
it's better to become aware now, and make the change than live your life in ignorance.
i think it's a rare thing to find someone who has NEVER eaten meat (and i envy people who haven't)
the only thing that matters is that you have made the change, for yourself on your own terms. Even if this person is your friend, you really don't need to justify anything to anyone but yourself. BECAUSE I WANT TO should be a good enough reason for anyone.
if she doesn't accept that, then you could always say "for the environment, my health and the animals"
this way you don't need to go on a rant happy
ReplyQuote

Scuba-addict Scuba-addict United Kingdom Posts: 107
3 29 Oct 2011
The problem with being a vegetarian/vegan is the second an omnivore finds out they feel judged. (Which alone makes me think they know deep down its wrong to eat meat).

I recently went out with some friends from work, one guy had too much to drink and I got a 10 minute lecture on why meat is sooooo good. And then he informed me how he had to skin a rabbit alive in his army training. I just sat there, and ried to take it. I did retaliate a little and informed him that the bacon he enjoys so much comes from an animals with the same mental capability's as his 3 year old son. He didn't respond to that, and I really shouldn't have stooped to his level but argh!

The fact you stopped eating meat at 24 shouldn't  be judged at all. Better late than never!

But by simply cutting out meat from your diet, you will constantly recieve criticism from omni's. Try to ignore is, if they are mature enough then explain but don't go into preachy veggie over drive as that impacts the rest of us tongue
ReplyQuote

4 29 Oct 2011
Scuba-addict said:
The problem with being a vegetarian/vegan is the second an omnivore finds out they feel judged. (Which alone makes me think they know deep down its wrong to eat meat).

I recently went out with some friends from work, one guy had too much to drink and I got a 10 minute lecture on why meat is sooooo good. And then he informed me how he had to skin a rabbit alive in his army training. I just sat there, and ried to take it. I did retaliate a little and informed him that the bacon he enjoys so much comes from an animals with the same mental capability's as his 3 year old son. He didn't respond to that, and I really shouldn't have stooped to his level but argh!

The fact you stopped eating meat at 24 shouldn't  be judged at all. Better late than never!

But by simply cutting out meat from your diet, you will constantly recieve criticism from omni's. Try to ignore is, if they are mature enough then explain but don't go into preachy veggie over drive as that impacts the rest of us tongue
Haha. Yeah, it's like they NEED TO JUSTIFY why they are still consuming meat. I don't care that they do. Well, that's a lie. I care a bit. I think if they understood the reality of it, they'd be behaving differently. That said, I'm not going to force someone to give up meat if they don't want to. That's not my place. My sister didn't force me, I'm not going to force others either. It's not in my nature. I just get angry when I'm judge. Oh, and their excuse of all the research and information I've discovered recently is PROPAGANDA. Pure propaganda. Sure, some of it is. Mostly... not though. I'm find to give them a reason. Usually it's, "I don't believe something should have to die in order to be on my plate, and I am an advocate for animal/human rights". That's the truth.

It just really irritates me that people can't comprehend it. You'd think they'd never encountered a vegetarian/vegan before. I'm pretty sure everyone has. We're not that rare. I was just like most omnivores before last week... unaware of what was going on. Scared to find out. I wouldn't have ever read/watched anything with animal cruelty/slaughter. I also find it funny that when I say "Oh, I watched this documentary called Earthlings about what really happens behind closed doors". They say, why would you watch that? That's silly. You're going to give meat up just because of that. I ask if they've seen anything like that before... they always say, oh no. I couldn't watch that. I can't watch anything like that. I guess that's the reason they're judging me still.

My sister gets away with it easier, because she's done it for dietary reasons. She had to. Not that she thinks animal cruelty/slaughter is something good. Of course not... but it was never a moral choice for her. So her reason, is taken a lot easier. Where as, I get all the back lash.

ANYWAY, I talk far too much. Thanks for responding happy I wouldn't dare go all preachy. I dislike people like that. Preachy people of any nature. So... I will represent us well wink
ReplyQuote

5 29 Oct 2011
Wolf said:
i don't think I've ever been asked why now, but i would just tell her exactly what you have said.
it's better to become aware now, and make the change than live your life in ignorance.
i think it's a rare thing to find someone who has NEVER eaten meat (and i envy people who haven't)
the only thing that matters is that you have made the change, for yourself on your own terms. Even if this person is your friend, you really don't need to justify anything to anyone but yourself. BECAUSE I WANT TO should be a good enough reason for anyone.
if she doesn't accept that, then you could always say "for the environment, my health and the animals"
this way you don't need to go on a rant happy
It's usually when I used that reason I get lectured hahah. Or asked where I get my iron/calcium/protein tongue Yet, when I say.. read this/look at this. They won't educate themselves. Kind of funny tongue
ReplyQuote

Gegele40 Gegele40 United States Posts: 6
6 29 Oct 2011
Because it's better now than never? Because you didn't weren't fully informed before? Because you finally looked into it and cannot ethically agree with being apart of that? Those all seem like good reasons to me and should work (I'd imagine) to fulfill someone's curiosity-- but it's not something you have to explain to someone, they should just respect your choices with yourself.
ReplyQuote

Cassie3 Cassie3 QLD Posts: 115
7 29 Oct 2011
Did your friend ask you a question or did she make a comment on your decision. If it was as you quoted it then it is hardly criticism.  It is just a question, no more.
ReplyQuote

Cassie3 Cassie3 QLD Posts: 115
8 29 Oct 2011
And I would have thought you would have enjoyed the chance to tell people how you see it.  You never know she may convert herself if you explained it well enough.
ReplyQuote

Val Val NSW Posts: 339
9 29 Oct 2011
well done on going vegeterian!!! happy I agree though, better now than never...I've come accross heaps of criticism from meat eaters, i'm sure many of us do and sometimes it can get irritating..

I know heaps of people who are becoming vegetarian now that they are in their 30s!!! Age has nothing to do with it anyway, when you are aware of something and you change it at this present moment, thats what counts and it does make a difference whether you're 10, 30 or 50+ I reckon.
ReplyQuote

Operator Operator QLD Posts: 58
10 29 Oct 2011
Congrats on the shift! 24 is late? But you still have a good 50 years ahead of you... If not more. That's a LOT of potential lives saved... and a lot of environmental resources saved ecstatic
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au