Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Maintaining enough calories...

Panicking about not having enough...

11 - 20 of 23 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Madixoxoxo Madixoxoxo QLD Posts: 31
11 7 Nov 2011
Tiah said:
Put simply; your lack of calories is NOT due to a vegetarian diet, but rather a very stupid choice.

You're not eating? Simple, plan some meals! It's easy to get calories, and not eating meat couldn't be any reason for you not to get calories. It's SO easy to get vegetarian food from take-away outlets and restaurants aswell, so you really have no excuse.

If you want low fat foods then try eating carbohydrates to get calories. Pasta, gnocchi, bread, cereals etc all contain high amounts of kilojoules.

Energy content in foods is the bodies primary energy source. OF COURSE you are going to feel faint and ill if you don't eat! That's completely stupid! Your body doesn't have enough energy to function properly if you don't eat.

Are you taking your iron tablets and multivitamins with food? They can contribute to making you feel ill. Also, are you on any other medications or anything? Some of your symptoms sound like you may be experiencing medication withdrawal or something that maybe you should see a Doctor about.

You need to make some immediate lifestyle changes. Follow a diet plan, eat 3 meals per day, take your supplements with food and drink 8 glasses of water per day. If you are still having problems then see your GP. Don't be trying to find answers on a forum which is about animal cruelty and vegetarianism/veganism - this is more about lifestyle choices which aren't in regards to any of those things.
Excuse me. Your response was quit rude, and not appreciated. I was simply asking peoples opinions. This is in the FOOD section of the forum. So I assumed it would be fine to talk about food, diet, supplements etc as I've seen things like this being posted before. I also believe that being vegetarian/vegan is a lifestyle choice, so it's all related. I know you can get enough calories from a vegetarian diet, I'm well aware of that. I just find I have to eat a lot of food in order to do so. I'm not saying I don't want to eat, obviously I do, I just find with being vegetarian I have to eat a lot more. Plus I'm brand new to this, and am finding my way, so please don't belittle me.

As I have previously mentioned, it was by accident that I didn't have dinner before going out that night... and I literally didn't have time to get something before we had to leave. Sure it was my fault, but I haven't ever felt faint before being a vegetarian. So I put it down to adjusting to the new way of eating, and not getting enough calories.

Why did you even bother posting at all? It was neither helpful, or appropriate to address someone else in such a manner. I just wanted to ask people what they thought, and everyone else had no issue with writing back to me, and were lovely and respectful. Why would you come on here just to rant at someone else when all they want is a little help?

To answer a few of your questions, yes I take all my supplements with food as directed. No I'm not coming off any medication. As I have said, I believed it to be a lack of calories.

Perhaps before commenting and being quite blunt in your approach, you should consider that perhaps this person is new to the lifestyle. Perhaps she/he just wants some answers from other like minded people. There is no reason to snap at someone who asks a question. I hope you don't speak like this to others on the forum, because it's simply not nice.
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
12 7 Nov 2011
This is very similar to your train incidence. Like I mentioned in that thread, it is important you snack during the day. From your story, I believe you had very low blood sugar. This can cause the symptoms you were experiencing, including feeling very emotional.

What I recommend is that you put some muesli bars in your handbag. It's great when you forget to eat or you are out somewhere where there aren't any vego options, so you have something to nibble on. They are low GI, meaning that you won't get a spike in blood sugar, which will only be good for a short period of time, but instead it will maintain the energy slowly over time.
ReplyQuote

xAshlee xAshlee TAS Posts: 722
13 7 Nov 2011
I switched to decaf coffee as caffeine affects iron absortion, and i also dont drink it with meals. in fact i hardly drink coffee at all lately coz its always so warm. I think vitamins are better absored from foods rather than tablets but its something i guess.

Its funny im complete opposite - in fact as i mentioned before i have to count my calories and keep them down. I only eat maybe 1400 cal a day and I was perfectly healthy during my last diet on 1200 cal.

Im pretty health consious too but i make sure i get some sort of fat - either in a spread, seeds or a tablespoon of oil  to cook tea in - the brain is a large percent fat so it needs good fats to function properly.

...and i dont think its a bad thing you posting on this forum. its completely related and i'd do the same thing
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
14 7 Nov 2011
I wish my problem was lack of calories... I easily clear over 1200 a day! hahahaha

Snack on some rice crackers, or nuts, or any other food.

You should be eating like this

7-8 am - breakfast (substantial meal)
10 am - snack
12 - lunch (substantial meal)
2 snack
4 afternoon tea
6-7 dinner.(substantial meal)

Now, don't be fooled, that 'snack' could be something as simple as an apple, or a handful of almonds, or some vegemite on a cracker, or some carrot sticks and hommus... It doesn't need to be huge, but you need to keep your body going.

if you forget, set yourself a phone reminder or something. I'm always pretty hungry, so it's hard to forget.
If you work in an office or something, sit a packet of trail mix or nuts on your desk to snack on throughout the day. If they're just sitting there, you'll munch on them wink
ReplyQuote

wild child2 wild child2 QLD Posts: 2638
15 8 Nov 2011
Just a suggestion (take it or leave it) - Stop drinking Diet Coke. It's nasty stuff! There have been connections made between it's consumption & diseases like Multiple Sclerosis. My girlfriend has recently been diagnosed (at only 25yo) & her doctor warned her against drinking it...

The most common early symptoms of MS include:

Tingling
Numbness
Loss of balance
Weakness in one or more limbs
Blurred or double vision

I'm with Miss Monster, I wish my issue was maintaining enough, not avoiding too many.. lol Get some vegan dark chocolate into you, something like 500 calories per 100g lol
ReplyQuote

Vinnie89 Vinnie89 NSW Posts: 37
16 8 Nov 2011
Reading the above posts, reading people eating only 600-1500 calories a day, really?? Eating only that much and trying to lead an active lifestyle will inevitably end in burnout. As a vegan carbs are your friends, the good carbs at least, whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegies etc, eat the foods that love you back. Increase your intake to 2000 calories MINIMUM, fill up your glycogen tank, it's probably empty, increasing your calories of good foods, increases nutrient intake, increases energy output. Eat up, drink up, sleep up.
ReplyQuote

S_Rocks S_Rocks VIC Posts: 61
17 9 Nov 2011
I can relate to this. I used to have such a small appetite and even when I was eating meat and dairy all the time, I had trouble getting enough calories. I'd just forget to eat if I was busy, because I never got hungry and my body didn't remind me.

Like others have said, I'd track calories and plan out meals for nutritional and caloric content.
ReplyQuote

18 13 Nov 2011
wild child2 said:
Just a suggestion (take it or leave it) - Stop drinking Diet Coke. It's nasty stuff! There have been connections made between it's consumption & diseases like Multiple Sclerosis. My girlfriend has recently been diagnosed (at only 25yo) & her doctor warned her against drinking it...

The most common early symptoms of MS include:

Tingling
Numbness
Loss of balance
Weakness in one or more limbs
Blurred or double vision

I'm with Miss Monster, I wish my issue was maintaining enough, not avoiding too many.. lol Get some vegan dark chocolate into you, something like 500 calories per 100g lol
Honestly I was starting to worry about such things, like MS and even Parkinsons disease. Thanks for letting me know about diet coke. I have significantly cut down my caffeine because not only does it prevent absorption of certain nutrients, but it also now makes me jittery and more like to have a panic attack. (That's what I'm suffereing form at the moment due to high stress/no exercise due to injury. I can control them... but I still have them coming on.)

Thanks for the tip about the chocolate. I've been ok with the food consumpiton this week, making sure I'm having tonnes of calories. Well not tonnes, haha but more than I was having. Eating higher calorie foods is helping. I still am feeling anxious/jittery etc but it's not due to diet... it's due to me being slightly crazy and unable to de-stress.

Thanks for your suggestions.
ReplyQuote

19 13 Nov 2011
Thanks everyone. You've been really helpful. I've upped the calories. More carbs/protein/fat... haven't felt light headed all week but I am currently suffering from panic attacks due to a lack of stress relief. Not full blown ones (i have a history) but I feel them coming on. Glad I know how to deal with them... unlike a few years ago. I am currently injured so I can't exercise and that's what cured them last time. EEK! So... dealing with that at the moment. I'm feeling much better with the food etc except even when I have had enough calories during the day, if I feel hungry my panicky symptoms hit and I feel all freaked cause I "NEED FOOD" and I don't want to faint again. Highly unlikely I would considering I'm nourished 100% now, but my panic attacks set in. How joyous.

Thanks again. It's nice to have some support from people that get it. Cheers.
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
20 13 Nov 2011
Vinnie89 said:
Reading the above posts, reading people eating only 600-1500 calories a day, really?? Eating only that much and trying to lead an active lifestyle will inevitably end in burnout.
Haha yeah... working in a metal fab workshop, I need around 2500 a day to maintain energy, and on that I still lose weight. Everything I work with is heavy... even the small stuff we use is 32kg per 8m length, so I needs my tucker!
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au