Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Advice needed!

1 - 5 of 5 posts

Lizard queen Lizard queen ACT Posts: 10
1 19 Nov 2011
Hi All, I was wondering if I could get some advice on a matter that has been bothering me or some time. I have a blue  tongue lizard (don't judge me) I have a large enclosure for her and she has time outside regularly. I love her to bits and she is very well looked after. My partner brought her home after finding her in a delivery box, she was so tiny and probably would have been eaten by a bird or perhaps died of lack of food (she would have only been a few weeks old if that) She is now fully grown and I feel like a hypocrite for keeping her in captivity sad although I think if I let her go she would not be able to look after herself and will surely die. Help! Any advice?? I want to do what is best for her.
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
2 19 Nov 2011
If she's been raised as a pet, she is unlikely to be able to survive in the wild now. Best thing to do is give her a good, natural as possible, large enclosure, lots of time outside, and try to give her the most natural life you can.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
3 19 Nov 2011
I worked with blue tongues. I don't know a whole lot about them, but my advice would be to keep her in captivity. You seem a bit worried, so I'll share some of my experience with you.

Her enclosure should have plants like lomandras that she can hide under, logs, preferably hollow, sand in at least half of the enclosure, and mulch in the other half. Both mulch and sand heat up, which helps lizard stay warm, as they're cold blooded. They also enjoy 'burrowing' in the mulch.

If you're going to have her on a fruit and vegetable based diet, that's fine, but remember blue tongues are omnivores. So make sure you sprinkle a tiny bit of Wombaroo Insectivore Mix over her food EVERY day. Do this even if you're feeding her meat. They enjoy eating mince, tinned peaches, grapes, meal worms (only occasionally), melon, and really any other type of easy to bite into fruit. Also make sure there's an easily accessible water bowl in her enclosure. Clean it daily.

Keep an eye out for ticks or mites. Ticks or mites won't kill or even slightly harm your blue tongue, but they are very annoying. If she has ticks or mites remove them, they're most commonly found in their ears and under their arms.

Make sure she's out of torpa by the beginning of Spring each year, if she's not, wake her up and offer her some food. It can be bad if blue tongues remain in torpa too long.

You probably know this already, but blue tongues bite. When handling her, make a 'V' shape with two fingers, and place those fingers tightly on both sides of her neck. With your other hand, hold her body, and she can't bite you.

Hope I helped, blue tongues are really easy to look after. And make wonderful companions.

Edit: Also, as soon as blue tongues hatch they're solitary. If they hang around they can risk their mother returning and eating them. So your blue tongue would have been fine in the wild, despite her age.
ReplyQuote

4 19 Nov 2011
Thanks heaps! She has hollow lofs, a huge rock cave, mulch etc, I do try to make it as natural as possible. I will get some branches for her. I have a reptile supplement that I sprinkle on her food, she loves it. She is well looked after but I feel guilty sometimes for keeping her. I am going to section off a part of my yard so that she can exerience a natura life occasionaly. I wish I had known about the fact that they are solitary from birth, she looked so tiny and helpless and I thought I was saving her life. Thanks again, she is a wonderful companion and I enjoy learning all about her (although my dog doesn't think she is so wonderful)
ReplyQuote

5 19 Nov 2011
Thank you, will do. Now it is warm I will give her more time outside  peace
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au