Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Is it wrong to own pets?

1 - 9 of 9 posts

iloveanimals iloveanimals NSW Posts: 16
1 23 Nov 2011
I've been wondering for a while if it might be be wrong to own animals
even that very sentence is strange can we really "Own" another living thing?
hm, well don't get me wrong I LOVE my puppy and guinea pigs so much but I always think maybe they'd be happier if we never domesticated them to begin with
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
2 23 Nov 2011
iloveanimals said:
but I always think maybe they'd be happier if we never domesticated them to begin with
I agree that they would be happier if they lived their natural lives (before domestication, environmental destruction or takeover) but what we have to do now is deal with the situation which remains. Which means if we want to help animals who unfortunately have no choice but to rely on humans to live happy healthy lives, then we should only adopt from shelters or pounds and encourage others to do the same while discouraging behaviour which promotes this unnatural cycle for animals (humans breeding them in order to sell).

Although in the eyes of the law we "own" them, I think of it as we 'adopt' them in to our family, because these animals are NOT property and it's sad to imply that.
dog
ReplyQuote

Ferret Ferret NSW Posts: 203
3 23 Nov 2011
Aimee said:
iloveanimals said:
but I always think maybe they'd be happier if we never domesticated them to begin with
I agree that they would be happier if they lived their natural lives (before domestication, environmental destruction or takeover) but what we have to do now is deal with the situation which remains. Which means if we want to help animals who unfortunately have no choice but to rely on humans to live happy healthy lives, then we should only adopt from shelters or pounds and encourage others to do the same while discouraging behaviour which promotes this unnatural cycle for animals (humans breeding them in order to sell).

Although in the eyes of the law we "own" them, I think of it as we 'adopt' them in to our family, because these animals are NOT property and it's sad to imply that.
dog
I feel the same ^ ^

I do not think of it as ' owning ', I view it as they are family members & do everything to ensure that they live happy, healthy & harmonious lives to the best of my ability as I would for anyone in my family kehe ^ __ ^
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
4 23 Nov 2011
^ Exactly. Animals would have been better off if they weren't domesticated by humans in the first place, but whether people like it or not companion animals exist and it is our responsibility to provide them with proper care and of course lots of love and attention.

I much prefer seeing animals in the wild in their natural habitat, but many domesticated animals can not survive in the wild, and if they could survive then there is the possibility that they will cause damage to native animals and their environment (i.e. like cats have).

EDIT: I don't like using the word 'own' but my dogs do belong with me, this is their home and I wouldn't like them to have the freedom to go or do as they please as they haven't learnt to take care of themselves and it would endanger their safety sad
ReplyQuote

Christina3 Christina3 NSW Posts: 128
5 23 Nov 2011
I feel exactly as all the other posts here. Yes, it would be better if animals were never domesticated and their habitats weren't destroyed and they were able to survive in the wild. The fact is, we can't change that; it's done now. The best way that you can help animals in terms of pets is to adopt and take care and love him/her so that they don't get put down. I do, however, think it's great that children and adults can have a relationship with animals, but they can still do so by adopting instead of "buying" them.
ReplyQuote

Spacepeanut Spacepeanut QLD Posts: 120
6 23 Nov 2011
Some extremists would have you believe it's the wrong thing to do, but I agree with the others - adoption from local shelters is always the way to go, and inevitably, you're saving a life in doing so. Why should a dog or cat be put to death when there are people out there who want to love them? My two rescue cats love me, and I them. I couldn't imagine life without them, to be honest.
ReplyQuote

Spacepeanut Spacepeanut QLD Posts: 120
7 23 Nov 2011
P.S. I'll just add that I couldn't fathom the idea of my girls being put to sleep. They're our furry family members, so much so that they always get a mention at the bottom of birthday cards along with everyone else :p
ReplyQuote

Cow Hugger Cow Hugger SA Posts: 346
8 23 Nov 2011
i agree with everyone else! i've seen so many people abuse their "pets" and it's disgusting, i just want to rescue all the doggies and give them all the love they deserve sad

i think keeping birds as pets, is wrong especially in the tiny cages sad
of course rescuing birds and helping them if they get injured is okay but pet birds go crazy in cages sad they are not meant to be cooped up
i also detest fish being kept in tanks, i love watching fish but they aren't meant to be in a cage sad
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
9 23 Nov 2011
I love my pets, and if you are adopting you are helping another animal live and giving them a second chance.

When it comes to animals like dogs, I'm going to be the weird one here. I don't agree with breeding right now when there are so many homeless dogs, but if there were no homeless dogs I would actually agree with breeding, so long as it was done right (healthy dogs, not to many litters, doing it for the dogs not the money, giving parents and pups the right care etc.). Domesticated dogs havebeen bred to enjoy humans, and a lot would not be able to survive in the wild. Of course, then there are owners who pay no attention to their dogs, or even abuse them, so it's a bit flawed.

There are other animals I don't think should be bred as pets, namely fish imo. They have to live in the same old tank their whole life. At least with other caged animals you can take them out for a while, but not with fish.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au