Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Mouse in the house!

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Lizard queen Lizard queen ACT Posts: 10
1 7 Jan 2012
Hi all,

I have just come across the cutest lil mouse living under my fridge happy unfortunately the last time this happened I ended up with many many lil mice and a very smelly house. Can anyone suggest a humane way of catching the little friend before my housemate decides to buy a trap whilst I am out of the house? I have tries the ones that shut when the mouse enters but I worry that the mouse might go in and be trapped all night long (also apparently when you set them free they follow you home) Any advice would be muchly appreciated.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
2 7 Jan 2012
If what you're talking about are box traps, don't worry! A mouse is perfectly capable of surviving one night in a trap, so as long as you check it every day, it should be fine. If you do end up catching one, try and subject it to minimal stress (i.e. don't let anyone freak out and scream near it!) Throw a tea towel or cloth over the trap and transport the mouse to another location. Now, this depends on what sort of area you live in, I have fairly dense bushland near my house and have previously released three mice into it. If you are closer to the city perhaps you could release it in a park? There's not much chance of it following you home if the release location is driving distance away, or a fair walk.. Good luck, I love mice tongue
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
3 7 Jan 2012
if it's the box type of trap, just leave some food in there to attract the mouse and fill it while it's in the trap, and it will survive the night just fine (better then being poisoned like so many other mice). Then release it somewhere. we just release ours next door into the paddock. they run away, and have no intentions of coming back. actually that little night in the lock up (the trap), isn't horrible for them, but probably a bad enough experience that they'll prefer staying away. Unless it's a tame mouse that likes humans, it's unlikely to follow you. The ones we catch run off as soon as we release them lol.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
4 7 Jan 2012
Reminds me of when I used to try and tame the mice in our house when I was little XD It got to the point where I could actually hand feed them, so glad my parents didn't find out, hahaha.
ReplyQuote

Cassie3 Cassie3 QLD Posts: 115
5 8 Jan 2012
Deespark said:
if it's the box type of trap, just leave some food in there to attract the mouse and fill it while it's in the trap, and it will survive the night just fine (better then being poisoned like so many other mice). Then release it somewhere. we just release ours next door into the paddock. they run away, and have no intentions of coming back. actually that little night in the lock up (the trap), isn't horrible for them, but probably a bad enough experience that they'll prefer staying away. Unless it's a tame mouse that likes humans, it's unlikely to follow you. The ones we catch run off as soon as we release them lol.
So now you have a dilemma with this one.  What if they have a nest of baby mice in your house.  By the way they are not cute at all when in plague proportions as they were in Western Queensland late 2010.  They were incredibly destructive and dangerous to boot when it came to electrical items.  Again balance, balance and more balance.....  Have the odd mouse in the house now and I am most happy for him to cruise around.
ReplyQuote

6 8 Jan 2012
Cassie3 said:
Deespark said:
So now you have a dilemma with this one.  What if they have a nest of baby mice in your house.  By the way they are not cute at all when in plague proportions as they were in Western Queensland late 2010.  They were incredibly destructive and dangerous to boot when it came to electrical items.  Again balance, balance and more balance.....  Have the odd mouse in the house now and I am most happy for him to cruise around.
Sorry if I sound dumb, don't know much about mice, but are they heavy chewers with electrical cords etc? I know rats are, and I'm pretty sure that's all we've had problems with, though I'm also pretty sure we've never had a nest with baby mice in the house. Last year most of our mice were caught outside on the porch, because they were hanging around there a lot and stinking up the place. Plus I'd rather they get caught in the trap then risk my dogs eating them, since I have no idea what diseases they'd have, or if they had any poison in their system.
If they get over populated and are causing damage, then even though I'd feel sorry for them, I honestly am ok with people using snap traps to kill some. (Just my opinion)
ReplyQuote

Cassie3 Cassie3 QLD Posts: 115
7 8 Jan 2012
Deespark said:
Cassie3 said:
Deespark said:
Sorry if I sound dumb, don't know much about mice, but are they heavy chewers with electrical cords etc? I know rats are, and I'm pretty sure that's all we've had problems with, though I'm also pretty sure we've never had a nest with baby mice in the house. Last year most of our mice were caught outside on the porch, because they were hanging around there a lot and stinking up the place. Plus I'd rather they get caught in the trap then risk my dogs eating them, since I have no idea what diseases they'd have, or if they had any poison in their system.
If they get over populated and are causing damage, then even though I'd feel sorry for them, I honestly am ok with people using snap traps to kill some. (Just my opinion)
They surely do chew electrical cords, phone cords.  They are most destructive. The plague here in Queensland caused much havoc and proved expensive when electrical goods required repairs  AND for the vegans the mice were eating their way through wheat crops so indirectly they are a threat to you too. I guess if you have a screened house you have less chance of internal damage from mice but I know people who have screens and the mice come into the house through all manner of methods, holes where pipes come into houses etc.  We have had pet rats in the past and they are just the most beautiful pets.  So much cleaner than mice and very quiet.
ReplyQuote

8 8 Jan 2012
Cassie3 said:
Deespark said:
Cassie3 said:
Deespark said:
They surely do chew electrical cords, phone cords.  They are most destructive. The plague here in Queensland caused much havoc and proved expensive when electrical goods required repairs  AND for the vegans the mice were eating their way through wheat crops so indirectly they are a threat to you too. I guess if you have a screened house you have less chance of internal damage from mice but I know people who have screens and the mice come into the house through all manner of methods, holes where pipes come into houses etc.  We have had pet rats in the past and they are just the most beautiful pets.  So much cleaner than mice and very quiet.
Ahh ok. Never knew they caused much damage. Though then again, I never thought about what they choose to eat and chew. Ours were just on the porch, and in the roof where we had heaps of traps, so luckily we didn't have to much of a problem. Screened doors, pretty new house. Sounds like we got lucky.
ReplyQuote

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
9 9 Jan 2012
We've been living with mice ever since we moved into this house. We have no way to remove them because they nest in the landlord's shed which we don't have access to. We just keep all our food in sealed containers and everything as clean as we can. We've never had problems with them chewing electrical cords, though they like the buttons on the tv remote lol. Box traps work well if you just have the one mouse but if they're breeding then you'll be setting traps forever, though this applies to traditional traps too. Mice are only as dirty as the environment they're in, of course they have bacteria on their teeth that aren't particularly friendly but so do we and our pets do too.
ReplyQuote

bonhomi bonhomi VIC Posts: 8
10 10 Jan 2012
hiya,we have a couple of cage style catch traps,and they work well for us.i just get on to them asap before they get really comfy in the house.catch them and take them for a walk down to the local bush.i heard if you take them 1km away they wont find there way back.l've never had any damage from them since i got savvy.i've also found that in my newer house that they were coming in from the side of the heater and behind the stove,following the gas pipe in.a plumber told me to stuff the gaps with steel wool(the thick kind) because they cant chew it.not sure if that is true,but i hav'nt seen them coming in from under the heater anymore.good luck
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au