Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Independent Office of Animal Welfare

Send a letter to your local MP or state labor party

1 - 1 of 1 posts

Michele13 Michele13 SA Posts: 6
1 11 Feb 2012
My letter:

To Whom It May Concern

I have heard that there is talk about establishing an Independent Office of Animal Welfare and I am writing to strongly encourage you to implement this office.

I have been appalled and disgusted at the abuse animals are receiving, so much so that in November 2011 I turned vegetarian because I refused to support industries that were carrying out such acts of cruelty. I am sure I am not the only one who has taken this stance and it is going to start hurting the Australian economy if people stop supporting local businesses. As you know, vegetarians don't just stop eating meat they stop purchasing 'any' animal product, including leather, sheepskin, wool and so on.

Prior to learning about the abuse, I had always assumed that the appropriate authorities regulated these industries and that animals were treated humanely. I can't explain how shocked I was to learn that this wasn't the case and that profit was put before protection. If people mistreat their pets it is against the law so why is there a different standard for companies?

We have all had pets at one stage in our lives; could we have stood by and watched them be beaten with steel bars, starved or kept in pens no bigger than a broom closet for their entire lives?

Please speak out for the animals because they cannot. They have hearts and feelings just like us.

In a country that has moved on from the White Policy and implemented equality, we need to practise what we preach and stop being hypocrites that discriminate against animals.

Yours faithfully
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au