Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

"Test-tube hamburgers"

What's your stance?

1 - 10 of 14 posts   1 | 2  

elelovespanic elelovespanic VIC Posts: 6
1 21 Feb 2012
I just read this article:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/02/19/first-test-tube-hamburger-to-be-produced-this-year/#.T0H7OPrTbps.reddit

and I was wondering what people think of this project. The article mentions a 'global vegetarian diet' and 'replac[ing] the entire meat-animal industry', however I am confused as I don't know anything about methods used to acquire stem-cells or really any of the science behind this experiment.

Discuss?
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
2 21 Feb 2012
Not sure how they got the cells, but if they were going to still use animals, I suppose they would be using less of the animal, and the guy said he wants to use vegetable sources instead.
Good move in the right direction imo, however, I'm quite happy with my frys....
ReplyQuote

Homewrecker Homewrecker VIC Posts: 49
3 21 Feb 2012
Deespark said:
I'm quite happy with my frys....
The faux meats are a great alternative but I hate the amount of sodium that they always contain!

Anyway, personally I wouldn't have an issue with test-tube meat, presuming the animal isn't killed or substantially injured to get cell cultures.
ReplyQuote

Kacey Michelle Kacey Michelle NSW Posts: 92
4 22 Feb 2012
Wow, I think it's a wonderful idea and a definite step forward.
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
5 22 Feb 2012
I would also like to know about how stem-cells are obtained.

Personally, I don't think I would eat it because I don't need it. I'm happy with my lifestyle and I have plenty of variety. I think that eating lab grown meat may take away some of my creativity when it comes to food. Before I was Vegan I just had the same thing all the time - meat and veg. Now I'm experimenting with diffferent foods and spices that I've never heard of before. I worry that I might become lazy and not only eat the same thing all the time, but eat crap all the time!

I dunno. I don't have any need for it, and I don't want it so I wouldn't eat it.
ReplyQuote

Tiah Tiah SA Posts: 45
6 22 Feb 2012
Stem cells are retrieved originally from the animals bone marrow - but then once the laboratories have stem cells they can then multiply them grow more and more without the need of the animal for constant supply.

It is definitely a step towards the future of a cruelty free world, and while I personally would not go back to eating meat because I never enjoyed it in the first place, there are millions of people who do and would be happy to continue eating meat knowing that no animal was raised and slaughtered in brutal conditions like the burgers of today.

I'm all for it happening even though I won't be eating it, but I'll sure encourage my friends to buy it over normal meats!
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
7 23 Feb 2012
I'm really happy being veg.. and I do like the variety in my cooking that I have picked up.. but really, sometimes I am just stumped for dinner ideas. I want something simple, I don't want to look up recipes that take all these ingredients and time.. and sometimes I want to be able to share food with other people!!

I'd be pretty happy if there was cruelty free meat available. I wouldn't be having meat every day, but I'd have it as much as I have fake meat. I am not a fan of most fake meats available, so my variety is limited, so it would be a good thing for me.

But regardless of vegetarians... the idea of meat coming from something other than death is nice. VERY nice. I hope this works well and it becomes a reality.
Imagine how many people who eat meat and get defensive and angry and ignore the truth behind the meat.. imagine how quick they could open up to learning about animal cruelty if they knew their precious meat diet wasn't at stake.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
8 23 Feb 2012
I wonder how popular it would be though. It would take so long to become mainstream.
ReplyQuote

StephyA StephyA VIC Posts: 329
9 23 Feb 2012
I think their main drive is to lesson the environmental impact of farming animals. But the no cruelty is a happy extension.

I'm not sure if I would eat it. I just don't think I could put meat in my mouth now. It would be weird. I think I would still attach it to being a living thing once. I would probably gag. But I do miss spag bol when I smell it cooking. But I also think meat is really unhealthy so if I did eat this grown meat it would only be a few times a year, if I could stomach it.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
10 25 Feb 2012
Do you guys think it could become mainstream?
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au