Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Dangers of Soy

What are we really eating?

1 - 10 of 19 posts   1 | 2  

Angus1 Angus1 VIC Posts: 6
1 24 Feb 2012
While I've only just gone veg, I have been married to a vegetarian for nearly five years, and have been eating a 90% vegetarian diet myself in that time. My two kids are also completely vegetarian.

Anyway, my wife and I have been concerned for some time about the dangers of soy. From TVP to mock-meat products, soy is marketed as an easy, ready alternative to meat. But there does seem to be a dark side to this versatile bean.

Do a quick search and you'll find scores of websites devoted to the dangers. Here is one:

http://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/soy%20dangers.htm

My wife and I still eat soy, but we confine ourselves strictly to fermented products: tempeh, miso, tamari/soy, and are careful to eat it only once or twice a week.

There are also heaps of alternatives to soy - we make milk using almonds or cashews blended up with a date, or banana for more of a smoothie.

You can also make an amazing ice cream using cashews. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll write the recipe.

We also have a book of raw dessert recipes, called Raw For Dessert, which has amazing cakes and sweets which are all raw, vegan and soy-free.

Just thought I'd put this out there.
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
2 24 Feb 2012
you should put some pictures of the amazon up on your profile..

also cashew ice cream recipe, yes please!
ReplyQuote

3 24 Feb 2012
Pictures of the Amazon? What does that mean? I may have seemed to suggest we wrote the book - we didn't, but I'm sure it's available online.

I will upload the cashew icecream recipe when I get home.
ReplyQuote

Ronnie Ronnie QLD Posts: 205
4 24 Feb 2012
Do it!! (I mean upload the cashew ice-cream recipe)  laugh
ReplyQuote

Ronnie Ronnie QLD Posts: 205
5 24 Feb 2012
Thanks for that link.  I've often wondered about the safeness of soy products.  I don't eat much soy, however, I do have 1 cup a day with my espresso coffee to get my calcium (calcium-enriched soy milk).

Looks like I'll be finding an alternative.
ReplyQuote

6 24 Feb 2012
There are many rich sources of calcium, including sesame seeds (or tahini), almonds and sea vegetables. The idea that we need dairy (or supplements) to meet our calcium needs is an outright lie, propagated by the dairy industry.

If nature intended us to eat dairy, we would have been given a suckling action for our whole lives, as well as mouths big enough to suckle from a cow's teet.

If you really want something milky in your coffee, try rice milk, or, if you're really adventurous, coconut milk. Or you could do what I've done - train yourself to drink it black. I'd never go back to drinking lattes of any form, even if I touched milk.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
7 25 Feb 2012
Which soy products are fermented, and which ones aren't?

I usually eat tofu twice a week, soy ice cream and soy milk every night and occasionally mock meat. is that bad?
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
8 25 Feb 2012
As far as I know the plant estrogen is completely different to estrogen we produce in our bodies?
ReplyQuote

10 26 Feb 2012
Fermented soy products are miso, tempeh and soy sauce/tamari. Tofu, on the other hand, is coagulated. Soy milk is the bi-product of this process.

I'm not saying don't eat these or other non-fermented products, but if you do eat them it's probably good to do some research. Many independent nutritionists warn against using soy products, unless eaten in fermented form.

It's probably also true that plant estrogen is different from human estrogen; however, that doesn't mean the body doesn't process it in a similar way. There is enough research linking soy with abnormal hormone levels to cause concern. I suppose the question is, do you want to be part of a public health experiment? Soy in this form has been eaten for a very short time, so the long term effects are not known.

The other thing is, there are great, natural alternatives to soy. You can make almond milk with a handful of almonds and a date and some honey, blended up in a cup of water. It tastes great and almonds are a fantastic source of calcium and other vitamins and minerals.

I also have a recipe for cashew icecream which I'll list on a different thread.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au