Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

The problem with honey?

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Grace! Grace! VIC Posts: 23
1 15 Oct 2009
Long-time vegetarian, first-time vegan.
I've given veganism a go for 2 weeks now, and although I've cut it out of my diet thus far, I don't see why I shouldn't eat honey. My uncle keeps bees and makes his own, and I have easy access to a jar now and again if I want it. The retailer is cut out of the process and it's not like there's such a thing (to my knowledge) as bee cruelty.
Apart from the fact that it's an animal-derived product, can anyone give me a reason not to consume honey? I will probably be easily persuaded; but give me your best rant anyway.
Grace x.x
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
2 15 Oct 2009
honey is a bees winter food and in a whole life time one bee makes 1/4 of a teaspoon
and golden syrup is way better happy
but i think its a personal choice with the substitutes ive just always rather golden syrup over honey since i was young
ReplyQuote

Lancastrian Lancastrian VIC Posts: 310
3 15 Oct 2009
Grace,

It's wonderful that you are going vegan. Congratulations. If you choose to give up honey I'd say that's your affair.
I've talked to a bee keeper at a small farmers market, and he says that the hives get so sealed up with wax (the bees like to seal them to keep warm) that when the hives are opened (he has to use a crowbar!) some bees inevitably get crushed.

However, since farmers also use bees to polinate the crops that produce our otherwise 'vegan' food, this is certainly a grey area. Some vegans are going to law the law down on you and say that honey isn't vegan, and I guess they are right, but because of the bee usage in polination, some of our vegetables aren't vegan either.
confused
I'd say it's up to you. If your friend has bees that are looked after, then I wouldn't get too troubled about it. Personally I gave it up, but that's somewhat because I found I was eating far too much of it for my waistline to justify!

I made a switch to putting molasses on my muesli (high in iron), but then I realised that wasn't helping me lose weight either.
ReplyQuote

ChloeMB ChloeMB VIC Posts: 560
4 15 Oct 2009
i guess if its someone you know who is making the honey then it is okay if you eat it cos you know whether the bees are being treated nicely or not.
for example, if i were to go vegan, i would still eat the eggs that my pet chickens lay because i know that they've got a really nice cruelty-free life and i take care of them really well. (that depends on whether you think eggs are actually meat)
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
5 16 Oct 2009
This is a good website covering all issues (including Roy's)
http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

By the way I finally found a fruit and nut bar not containing honey and it's called Trio and marked vegan on the front
broccoli
ReplyQuote

Grace! Grace! VIC Posts: 23
6 10 Nov 2009
Thanks to everyone for your response and sorry for the late reply happy
I've continued to not consume honey and live a guilt-free vegan lifestyle.
Though I'm still not sure about it, it's better to be safe wink
Also my vegan musili bars are the Be Natural Trail Bars, fruit and nut flavour.
Thanks again!
innocent
ReplyQuote

f3xstar f3xstar NSW Posts: 212
7 13 Nov 2009
sarah-moo said:
honey is a bees winter food and in a whole life time one bee makes 1/4 of a teaspoon
and golden syrup is way better happy
but i think its a personal choice with the substitutes ive just always rather golden syrup over honey since i was young
lol it said in the idiots guide to a vegan lifestyle its only 1/12 of a tspn.
ReplyQuote

f3xstar f3xstar NSW Posts: 212
8 13 Nov 2009
Cloe said:
i guess if its someone you know who is making the honey then it is okay if you eat it cos you know whether the bees are being treated nicely or not.
for example, if i were to go vegan, i would still eat the eggs that my pet chickens lay because i know that they've got a really nice cruelty-free life and i take care of them really well. (that depends on whether you think eggs are actually meat)
i dont think theres any problem with the eggs but honey is a bees food.
ReplyQuote

ChloeMB ChloeMB VIC Posts: 560
9 13 Nov 2009
f3xstar said:
Cloe said:
sure, sure
ReplyQuote

Honeygoon Honeygoon NSW Posts: 76
10 14 Nov 2009
f3xstar said:
Cloe said:
Eggs are also a chicken's food. Chickens will eat their own non-fertilised eggs to regain nutrition.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au