Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Annoying unsportive friends..

I'm sure we all have them, how do you deal with them?

1 - 10 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

MoniqueClair MoniqueClair NSW Posts: 24
1 10 Mar 2012
I know there is a good chance this has been discussed before, but I'm not really in the mood to go and filter through everything.

I have one friend in particular, whenever we go out for lunch or dinner he always looks at what I'm eating and says "Yeah, you'll eat meat again" or something similar along the lines. This guy is far from healthy, here I am eating a nice grilled pumpkin salad with pine nuts, whilst he is scoffing down a large KFC box thing (dirty, I know).

This has been a friend of mine since high school says, and was one of my closest friends. Recently though he has just been hackelling me about my morality.

I've never really been one to start a long winding response back at everything that's wrong with a meat eating diet.. but I think it's time I did with this guy.

What do you guys usually say to friends in a situation like this?
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
2 10 Mar 2012
I don't have the energy to deal with 'friends' who do this kind of shit to me.
I used to try and deal with it, keep them as friends, but these days I don't even bother. It's too stressful, and a friend wouldn't do that to you!

These days, I'm surrounded by people who support my moral beliefs, while not all of them are vegan or vegetarian, none of them give me any kind of hassles about the way I live my life.
Since doing this I'm a much happier person.

You'll probably end up doing the same thing.
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
3 10 Mar 2012
I think I lucked out with my friends. My closest friends fully support me and think my diet is cool. Some friends probably think it's just weird, but they keep those opinions to themselves. The worse I have to deal with is the jokes from one of my friends, but he knows I find the jokes funny. Only problem was when he would stick meat in my face saying 'mmmm want some?' but he soon stopped it when I started taking the meat and throwing it on the ground.

Have you tried just telling your friend to shut up about your eating habits and explain how annoying he is?
ReplyQuote

Mel17 Mel17 SA Posts: 98
4 10 Mar 2012
The majority of my friends were like that. They continually questioned my veganism and used to give me shit to no end about it. I would bite back and question their diet but eventually I tired of it. It's taken me years but slowly I've moved away from these so called friends. If they don't respect me, then how can I do the same?!
ReplyQuote

Kacey Michelle Kacey Michelle NSW Posts: 92
5 11 Mar 2012
Most of my friends have been vegetarian or vegan at some point: no one judges or cares so I guess its convenient. I find when you have people who give shit about it: they're usually really ignorant and discussing the topic is near impossible: kind of like a discussion about religion between a catholic and an atheist, they just won't agree. When it comes down to it: tell them you don't like it, and if they were your friends they'd stop it because what you choose to eat doesn't effect them and is none of their business.
ReplyQuote

Homewrecker Homewrecker VIC Posts: 49
6 11 Mar 2012
Your friend sounds like a bit of drop kick. If you respect his views and he doesn't respect yours then tell him to give himself an uppercut.
ReplyQuote

Rowan011 Rowan011 WA Posts: 92
7 11 Mar 2012
When I get asked if Im not feeling energetic enough to explain. Ill just say "because I care about animals" I dont usually get any comments after that tongue
ReplyQuote

Haaayyyllleeeyyy Haaayyyllleeeyyy VIC Posts: 41
8 11 Mar 2012
Rowan011 said:
When I get asked if Im not feeling energetic enough to explain. Ill just say "because I care about animals" I dont usually get any comments after that tongue
That never works for me. I have a lot of unsupportive friends like that. Or I should say 'had'.

It made me un-happy and stressed me out, so like most of the other people in this forum, I said 'enough is enough'.

But at the end of the day we can only give you a few different options and you have to decide for yourself weather he is worth it.
ReplyQuote

Rowan011 Rowan011 WA Posts: 92
9 11 Mar 2012
Haaayyyllleeeyyy said:
Rowan011 said:
That never works for me. I have a lot of unsupportive friends like that. Or I should say 'had'.

It made me un-happy and stressed me out, so like most of the other people in this forum, I said 'enough is enough'.

But at the end of the day we can only give you a few different options and you have to decide for yourself weather he is worth it.
Uh Sorry to hear that.

Another one that I have also had success with is "reducing my carbon footprint"
But I suppose it depends on the individual your being questioned by.
ReplyQuote

Vinnie89 Vinnie89 NSW Posts: 37
10 11 Mar 2012
Maybe your mate is just ribbing you, bit of a friendly tease, being a smart ass, he probably means no malice, rib him back. If you told him how it makes you feel and he continues, then he's no mate, just a dickhead, then an uppercut to the chin followed by a straight right to the bridge of the nose is justified.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au