Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

beans and salad

i just cant get into it

1 - 10 of 17 posts   1 | 2  

Natty Natty NSW Posts: 80
1 22 Mar 2012
hey everyone!
I am trying to change my diet and make it a more wholefoods based one. I want to stay away from all that processed stuff like soy sausages/mock meats. But I have a problem.
I just CANT get into beans and salads. I reallllly don't like the taste and texture of greens like baby spinach, rocket and bok choy. But i know i can't just have iceberg lettuce all the time. As for beans, maybe im preparing them wrong? I just cant get excited about them. i like baked beans and put lentils in my spaghetti but thats it.
Has anyone experienced this? Is it an aquired taste like soy milk?
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
2 22 Mar 2012
If you're eating baked beans and lentils... that's pretty good.

I was never a salad fan, my idea of salad is iceburg lettuce and lots of french dressing tongue yum. Now I mix a handful of leafy lettuce and spinach through it too and don't really notice it. It's all just crunch that tastes like dressing!

I also add a can of 4 bean mix as well as some corn. That's a good way to get your beans and salad together... and again, it really just makes my old salad interesting.

Maybe google some bean recipes.. and make something new.

If you really don't think you can have salad, try eating different green veggies that have the same vitamins and then it doesn't matter.

I prefer veggies over salad happy
ReplyQuote

tonijosephine tonijosephine VIC Posts: 80
3 22 Mar 2012
Just suck it up and eat everything you despise....before you know it, it'll be your norm and you'll eventually enjoy them haha. I HATED rocket and HATED chickpeas. Basically live off them now though...sounds crazy, but i swear to god it's true.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
4 23 Mar 2012
tonijosephine said:
Just suck it up and eat everything you despise....before you know it, it'll be your norm and you'll eventually enjoy them haha. I HATED rocket and HATED chickpeas. Basically live off them now though...sounds crazy, but i swear to god it's true.
Yes! When I first went veg I was scared about not getting enough iron and I knew that baked beans had lots on them... they made me want to gag at first but after about the 4th try I really enjoyed it.

Taste buds change depending on what you eat. happy
ReplyQuote

5 23 Mar 2012
Thanks guys! Thought I might end up having to just grin and bear it for a while and get used to it. I had some chickpeas today.. reallly strong flavour..but not horrible. lol
xoxo
ReplyQuote

Rowan011 Rowan011 WA Posts: 92
6 23 Mar 2012
Natty said:
hey everyone!
I am trying to change my diet and make it a more wholefoods based one. I want to stay away from all that processed stuff like soy sausages/mock meats. But I have a problem.
I just CANT get into beans and salads. I reallllly don't like the taste and texture of greens like baby spinach, rocket and bok choy. But i know i can't just have iceberg lettuce all the time. As for beans, maybe im preparing them wrong? I just cant get excited about them. i like baked beans and put lentils in my spaghetti but thats it.
Has anyone experienced this? Is it an aquired taste like soy milk?
Try using Kale and making some nice Kale & lentil +  potato + carrot etc.. Patties. some good recipes on the internet as well, I find this a good way in getting good greens in my diet. You don't really have to specifically eat beans + salad.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
7 23 Mar 2012
I don't eat store bought mock meats any more. Last time I ate vegan hot dogs they kept repeating on me and made me feel very sick :/
Beans, salads, lentils, chickpeas etc. are delicious - it's all about how you prepare and flavour them happy

Some ways I like to use them:
Chickpeas - Indian curry, falafels, chickpea cutlets, brownies...
Salads - I mainly eat salad on wraps or sandwiches. If I eat it by itself I make an avocado dressing made up of avocado, lemon juice, salt, cracked pepper and water blended together.
Lentils - Dahl, lentil burgers, spaghetti bolognaise, lentil and gravy pies, shepherds pie...
Beans - Eggplant stew with beans, refried beans for mexican food like tacos and burritoes, kidney beans for chilli con carne...

If you want some specific recipes let me know happy
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
8 23 Mar 2012
Natty said:
Thanks guys! Thought I might end up having to just grin and bear it for a while and get used to it. I had some chickpeas today.. reallly strong flavour..but not horrible. lol
xoxo
If you are buying chickpeas in cans, make sure you completely drain and rinse them until the water runs clear.
ReplyQuote

the_ether the_ether QLD Posts: 35
9 24 Mar 2012
I loooove black bean chilli, either plain with some cornbread or as a filling for burritos and enchiladas. try hiding beans in stuff, or making dips like hummus (or a Mexican dip with refried beans, salsa, guacamole and vegan sour cream in layers).

For leafy greens, have you considered green smoothies? Just take a bunch of fruit and blend it with some spinach or kale. You can start by adding just a little bit so you can't taste it, and work the amounts up until you're getting a full serve in your brekky smoothie happy I love playing with new combinations - pineapple and raspberries are two of my fave flavours.
ReplyQuote

10 24 Mar 2012
ohh i would love some recipes.. all the ones i find online use SOOO many ingredients!
i would love to make chickpea curry and dahl!

Why do I have to rinse the chickpeas till the water runs clear?

and where do i buy kale? i have never seen it around here sad
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au