Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegetarian turning vegan

Tips or advice pleaseee? :)

1 - 10 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

Elise3 Elise3 SA Posts: 8
1 6 Aug 2012
Hi everyone!

I've been a vegetarian for just over three and a half years and I would really like to make the change and cut out ALL animal products from my diet. After learning about the treatment of cows/calves and hens/chickens I don't want to support those industries anymore.

I'm just wondering, if any vegans are reading this:

Did you find it to be an easy transition, going from eating or using animal products to cutting them out completely?

Do you have any tips or advice?

Or do you have any favourite products you would recommend to people to try?

Thank you in advance!! happy
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
2 6 Aug 2012
I personally found is very easy. But everyone's different. If you struggle, don't give up! I have a list on all animal derived ingredients here: http://www.vegantasmania.com/p/food.html don't let it overwhelm you, for a start just steer clear of the obvious ones, the ones that are ALWAYS animal derived. You can look into the other things later. They're usually synthetic or plant derived anyway. Hope that helps. If you have ANY questions at all or need some help or a chat, hit me up!
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
3 6 Aug 2012
Congratulations by the way! ecstatic ecstatic ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Anthony Anthony WA Posts: 216
5 6 Aug 2012
On a practical note: don't think you're just stuck with soy milk. There's oat milk (my fave), almond milk (can be a bit pricey) and rice milk available in most supermarkets.

Way to go on making the decision to go vegan, btw!
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
6 6 Aug 2012
Snacks:

Avocardo, toast with dips like hommus, some beatroot and carrot dips, most original flavor chips and add your own flavoring like grainwaves and doritos, baked beans, sun fresh: lentil and chick pea salads/merrocan cous cous.

Meals:

Dahl, pasta, salad, fruit salad.

Supplements:

Saunder's Malt Extract: B vitamins. Spinach: iron.

+ Add herbs like parsley, coriander, mint, to winter soups and things you boil up.

Tips:

Don't use a microwave. A microwave does as much food damage in 30seconds than 3 minutes of boiling.

Though in boiling the damage is burst molecules releasing nutrient into the water which is often drained away. Where as a microwave turns/mutates (predominantly) proteins into a form the body cannot utilize. + vitamin and mineral loss.

Considering the sensitivity of vitamins even to external things like sunlight, air pollution and heating (hence why Vit C is added to juices which should be super concentrated in it naturally). Then the internal like, drinking, smoking and other humanly stresses (absorption loss/inabilities). Using a microwave is insane ... laziness. esp if you have fresh food. Most of the things which are ok to microwave have no food value to begin with happy so it is more of a way to get heat into your body, lol.

There are stacks of things to eat and exciting things, new things. It depends how typical you want to be and how much you miss processed/colorful packet, sweetened food stuffs.

Orgran make awesome cookies, but terrible, terrible berry flavored cereal.

Sweet William chocolate is edible but just as sickening as normal chocolate, the %less sugar variety is best.

So many delights around. The rest is just common sense and what you're willing to try making ^___^

Maybe cook for friends if you find cooking for yourself unrewarding.

Plenty of food ideas around, look at Vegan blogs.
Many unleashed patrons have beautiful and informative food blogs...

needless to say all Vegan and fun.

∞  http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/forum/topic.php?t=5691
ReplyQuote

Debaybay Debaybay QLD Posts: 39
7 6 Aug 2012
Hey Elise!

I'm right here with you on this one! I'm currently trying to make the switch to a vegan as well. Been a vegetarian for 1 and a half years, (so not as long as you! You go girlfriend). What I've been doing is eating vegan for at least 2 days a week, 3 if I can. I would probably go all out, however while I live with my silly meat-eating family, they do not approve of the 'extreme' vegan diet. So when I'm away at uni for a few days a week, I am a vegan then. In saying that, take it at the pace that is best for you. And no-one will know what's best for you other than yourself =]

And get a support network! I think this site is full of wonderful people who will offer encouragement and advice whenever you need it.

Hope this helps!

P.S. get fun in the kitchen! I have found a love of cooking now because I want to show my family all of the beautiful meals and options you have as a vegetarian/vegan. And they love them all.
ReplyQuote

le gabrielle le gabrielle QLD Posts: 214
8 6 Aug 2012
Anthony said:
On a practical note: don't think you're just stuck with soy milk. There's oat milk (my fave), almond milk (can be a bit pricey) and rice milk available in most supermarkets.

Way to go on making the decision to go vegan, btw!
Oat milk is totally my favourite too! Just sayin' ;D
ReplyQuote

Vegan all the way Vegan all the way WA Posts: 44
9 6 Aug 2012
Congratulations Elise for taking the next step.

I strongly recommend that you watch this video and let me have your thoughts:

http://www.adaptt.org/videos.html#
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
10 7 Aug 2012
Books:
Vegan by Erik Marcus
Diet for a New America by John Robbins
Skinny B*tch by Rory Freedman
Just to name a few...
ReplyQuote

< Prev