Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

School Dissection

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

Christina3 Christina3 NSW Posts: 128
1 27 Aug 2012
Today my science teacher told me that soon we would be dissecting lamb brains. After I asked him, he told me that the school gets their parts for dissecting from butchers (as in, the animals have already been killed and their meat sold, and their brains are left over so they sell/give them to the school).

Do you think it's right to participate? (I still eat meat products, as my parents won't allow me to go vegan nor vegetarian until I'm 18)

[Edit] Never mind, found some related threads. Should really search a topic before I post it  ashamed
ReplyQuote

Anthony Anthony WA Posts: 216
2 28 Aug 2012
Christina3 said:
Never mind, found some related threads. Should really search a topic before I post it
So what do you think you'll do? I'm interested to know more about this.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
3 28 Aug 2012
Lamb brains? That makes my schools sheep hearts look... less gross.
ReplyQuote

Christina3 Christina3 NSW Posts: 128
4 28 Aug 2012
Anthony said:
Christina3 said:
Never mind, found some related threads. Should really search a topic before I post it
I'll ask my teacher about it and try and convince him to let me participate as least as possible. If we do it in groups (we do most experiments in groups), then I'll probably sit at my desk while the other two in my group do the dissection at the table we use for experiments. If we each have to do one, I won't do it (my teacher's not the type to actually force someone into something). If it becomes too overwhelming I'll leave the room.

What was really horrible, was that when he told us we'd be doing dissection soon, the whole class cheered. They haven't made the connection that these were once living, breathing animals, and have taken up the idea that animals were placed on this earth to serve us :/
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
5 29 Aug 2012
The whole class cheered? How insensitive!
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
6 29 Aug 2012
Christina3 said:
Anthony said:
Christina3 said:
I'll ask my teacher about it and try and convince him to let me participate as least as possible. If we do it in groups (we do most experiments in groups), then I'll probably sit at my desk while the other two in my group do the dissection at the table we use for experiments. If we each have to do one, I won't do it (my teacher's not the type to actually force someone into something). If it becomes too overwhelming I'll leave the room.

What was really horrible, was that when he told us we'd be doing dissection soon, the whole class cheered. They haven't made the connection that these were once living, breathing animals, and have taken up the idea that animals were placed on this earth to serve us :/
I guess this what happun when always served animals as kids.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
7 29 Aug 2012
Christina3 said:
Anthony said:
Christina3 said:

In biology they use hearts and brains also, it's perfectly reasonable for you to ask to find an alternative to disectting for your assignment if you explain why you don't feel comfortable with it. But if you want to try and give it a go, it's your decision. I warn you now though, I thought I could handle watching it as one teacher was doing it, but the smell is overwhelming and I have never smelt anything quite like it, made me physically ill and I had to leave for I was about to vomit. I would personally try and avoid it as much as possible. peace
ReplyQuote

SaRa_aRaS SaRa_aRaS QLD Posts: 54
8 29 Aug 2012
happy I feel so lucky having a vegetarian Biology teacher who is so opposed to dissection.
ReplyQuote

Anthony Anthony WA Posts: 216
9 29 Aug 2012
SaRa_aRaS said:
happy I feel so lucky having a vegetarian Biology teacher who is so opposed to dissection.
Legend!
ReplyQuote

Andrewxxx Andrewxxx VIC Posts: 272
10 29 Aug 2012
If biology is something you're really interested in and you might like to pursue a career with I'd say do it. I wasn't vegan when we did dissection at school so I didn't think much about it at the time but it really makes things clearer seeing them in real life. I'm not usually much of a fan of the biproduct argument but it's not as bad as if they're were lab bred animals or something like that. If you're just doing it because you have to pick a science subject or whatever than I'd sit it out.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au