Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Unethical vegetarians and vegans...

1 - 10 of 230 posts (locked)   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  

Grace! Grace! VIC Posts: 23
1 12 Nov 2009
I am SICK of hearing people talking about how great oreos are. Vegimite. Chocolate.
People who are vegetarian or vegan who don't think about unethical brands. Nestle = child labour for Christ's sake. Are animals more important to you? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being vegetarian or vegan (I am vegan myself), but you of all people should be aware of the ethical concerns raised when it comes to Kraft, Cadbury-schwepps, Coke, Colgate-palmolive, Uncle Toby's... etcetera!
Just being a vegetarian or vegan doesn't mean that you're living a cruelty-free lifestyle. Yes, you're doing the animals a favour, but don't ruin all your hard work by buying into commercial, unhealthy, unethical products!
Pay attention! Shop locally! If you don't do your research you're just as bad as any omnivore...

Francis Francis VIC Posts: 286
2 12 Nov 2009
There's a big difference between an animal product and buying something from a company that does some bad things.

Basically every product is produced under less than ideal conditions...but what are you gonna do? Not everyone can afford to buy organic everything, and even that has issues with it a lot of the time. Everythinbg needs to change, but buying power can only go so far and worrying about 'ethjical companies'...

It's also funny you put in 'unethical vegetarians' in the title, aren't by modern definition vegetarians people who buy milk/eggs....

Vegetation Vegetation NSW Posts: 349
3 12 Nov 2009
My take on it is that I'm supporting their vegan lines (in some cases). You're sending a message to them that this is what people want to buy, not their awful meaty products. Admitedly some companies are worse than others and some I just won't buy from no matter what, but if all vegans and vegetarians just stopped buying Sanitarium products, they'd be pulled off the shelves and it would be harder to try and get people eating veggie in the first place.

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
4 12 Nov 2009
Grace! said:
I am SICK of hearing people talking about how great oreos are. Vegimite. Chocolate.
People who are vegetarian or vegan who don't think about unethical brands. Nestle = child labour for Christ's sake. Are animals more important to you? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being vegetarian or vegan (I am vegan myself), but you of all people should be aware of the ethical concerns raised when it comes to Kraft, Cadbury-schwepps, Coke, Colgate-palmolive, Uncle Toby's... etcetera!
Just being a vegetarian or vegan doesn't mean that you're living a cruelty-free lifestyle. Yes, you're doing the animals a favour, but don't ruin all your hard work by buying into commercial, unhealthy, unethical products!
Pay attention! Shop locally! If you don't do your research you're just as bad as any omnivore...
In my opinion any product that doesnt have animal products is cruelty free to ANIMALS
i refuse to get drawn into the human rights debate even though i think its a very important issue it mixes up our mission to stop using animals for food.
coke=vegan cruelty
colgate=not cruelty free tests on animals.
cadbury-dairy not cruelty free

5 12 Nov 2009
Milk and eggs aren't necessarily unethical, depending on your viewpoint. Some people think that's it's okay to buy them if they are locally and ethically produced.
I'm not talking about those who can't afford to buy ethical products (most of the time they're cheaper than big brand names anyway...) but of those who don't even think about it, even if they KNOW that the company has a terrible reputation.
Of course organic things can have problems with it. An unethical company can produce an organic product, just as they can produce something vegan.
If you're vegan for such reasons you should AVOID unethical product where possible.

6 12 Nov 2009
jack said:
Grace! said:
In my opinion any product that doesnt have animal products is cruelty free to ANIMALS
i refuse to get drawn into the human rights debate even though i think its a very important issue it mixes up our mission to stop using animals for food.
coke=vegan cruelty
I don't know how anyone could care about human beings (as well as animals) and still buy products made by companies which abuse them. Though it's a different issue, it's related; human beings are animals too.

7 12 Nov 2009
So if you buy a salad from KFC, that's okay?

8 12 Nov 2009
Grace! said:
jack said:
Grace! said:
coke=vegan cruelty
I don't know how anyone could care about human beings (as well as animals) and still buy products made by companies which abuse them. Though it's a different issue, it's related; human beings are animals too.
I completely agree and i think human rights is a really needed campaign/thing for the future because of world poverty and i still donate etc to many human rights organisations.
But i prefer to stick to "animal" advocacy and not human rights.  I prefer not to mix the two beause it confuses our mission and what we want as our outcome

9 12 Nov 2009
Vegetation said:
My take on it is that I'm supporting their vegan lines (in some cases). You're sending a message to them that this is what people want to buy, not their awful meaty products. Admitedly some companies are worse than others and some I just won't buy from no matter what, but if all vegans and vegetarians just stopped buying Sanitarium products, they'd be pulled off the shelves and it would be harder to try and get people eating veggie in the first place.

10 12 Nov 2009
Grace! said:
no its not
i run  an anti KFC campign
I try to buy ethically when possible but im a vegan.

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au