Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Really annoyed, REALLY.

Need to share my Alfioa experience

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Aria Aria VIC Posts: 63
1 27 Feb 2013
So my hubby and I have gone to am Italian restaurant quite a few times in Outer Geelong, called Alfios.

When we first went to this place we asked literally 5 times "So this definitely has no meat or dairy or any animal products what so ever?" and we were assured each time with no nothing of those. My hub gets a pizza: tomato, herb, garlic, olive and mushroom - no cheese. I get a plain tomato herb pasta - no cheese.

We went last night to get take away. Whilst waiting for our order this is the conversation we had:

Chef: So are you two lactose intolerant?
Us: No we are vegan. Why?
Chef: Well the pizza dough and pasta we make contains dairy.
Us: What do you mean????? We were assured nothing contained animal ingredients.
Chef: Did you get sick?
Us: No....?
Chef: So its ok then, if you didn't get sick it doesn't matter.
Us: That is no the point. We are vegan we don't eat it.
Chef: But you didn't get sick so how can it hurt.
Us: Again.... Not the point we don't eat it and were told it did not contain it.

Now these 4 lines repeated about 400 times. He completely missed the point, beyond his mental capability clearly!

I cannot believe the lack of care by these stupid people working in hospitality. For starters.... Who the hell puts milk in pasta or pizza dough??????? Never freaking heard of it. In fairness the young man who makes the dough came over and he apologized profusely as he wasn't around any time we ordered. He offered us free food also. It's funny how these older generations just can't grasp anything past their narrow minded, ignorant views.

I just thought I'd share that disgusting experience. I feel sick and horrible that I have eaten something with dairy in it!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
2 27 Feb 2013
I would have said I was vegan for religious reasons. By not being honest they are still liable to being sued for discrimination.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
3 27 Feb 2013
It's our belief! I would definitely agree with Steph, totally send them an email, or do something.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
4 27 Feb 2013
I hate when that happens. Try not to let it get to you too much. I do think you should follow it up some more though. Send some emails or make appropriate complaints to  whomever. Especially considering they didn't know why you had a problem with it in the first place before giving it to you they could have seriously screwed with your health. They didn't know they weren't going to so them taking that risk is not only unethical but harmful.
ReplyQuote

5 27 Feb 2013
ALSO make sure you write a review online on UrbanSpoon or another site like it.
I had a bad experience last year when I asked for a soy latte at a place in Adelaide. I even asked the waitress when she brought it out to make sure it was soy. I thought it tasted funny, then another waitress brought out the soy latte that was meant for me. I was disgusted! At least the waitress apologized profusely but what if I had been allergic?? As it is I am fairly intolerant and had a 6 hour drive ahead of me. I immediately went on UrbanSpoon told my story.
ReplyQuote

cupcake185 cupcake185 WA Posts: 34
6 27 Feb 2013
The fact that they didn't care they were giving you something with dairy in it after you had requested it didn't contain dairy is pretty shocking. What if the reasoning was that you WERE lactose intolerant and you did get sick? You could of sued them for something like that..

This asian food place I have been to before I got their vegetarian spring rolls and the sweet chilli sauce - doubled check there wasn't any fish sauce and was assured it was ok. My friend had one first and pulled a face saying there was fish sauce in it and the dipping sauce stuff even had fish sauce in it. What if I was allergic and had had an anaphylactic reaction?

Some people in the food industry are so careless - it's absolutely shocking. sad
ReplyQuote

MrIdentical MrIdentical QLD Posts: 124
7 27 Feb 2013
This is pretty appalling.

As most people have pointed out if it were for allergy reasons it could have been terrible - anaphylaxis is NOT something to be blase about. If it had been a peanut or shellfish they could have killed somebody.

The only thing I can say is contact your local food authority and tell them that you were served dairy after asking and being told that there was no animal product in the pizza.

Plus dairy in a pizza base is just madness - it's a BREAD?
ReplyQuote

8 27 Feb 2013
cupcake185 said:
This asian food place I have been to before I got their vegetarian spring rolls and the sweet chilli sauce - doubled check there wasn't any fish sauce and was assured it was ok. My friend had one first and pulled a face saying there was fish sauce in it and the dipping sauce stuff even had fish sauce in it. What if I was allergic and had had an anaphylactic reaction?

Some people in the food industry are so careless - it's absolutely shocking. sad
That annoys me so much! How dare they label it vegetarian if it is not. False advertising!
ReplyQuote

9 27 Feb 2013
I understand that people in general can be fairly uneducated on food and especially veganism.. But for people in the food business, it is their business to know and the lack of care and effort is pathetic. For allergy reasons, there needs to be more put in place to monitor cafes/restaurants and serious consequences when regulations are not followed... I.e. Some nice big fines, that will get them educating themselves.
ReplyQuote

10 27 Feb 2013
Oops sorry guys I'm stupid... The restaurant is called Alfino's... My phone makes stupid auto corrections and I didn't proof read my thread titling..
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au