Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Thoughts on human adoption?

Compared to your ethics regarding pets.

1 - 7 of 7 posts

BFV BFV SA Posts: 138
1 24 Jul 2013
Many animal activists believe companion animals should be desexed to avoid contributing to overpopulation, and advocate adopting animals from shelters and rescues to help give homes to unwanted pets.

I have been thinking lately about the similarities between the issues among companion animals and humans.
There are already more humans on the planet than we have resources for at our current rate of expansion (unless the whole world goes vegan, but I digress!) and there are many children in need of adoption. Some never find a permanent home and move between foster homes until they grow up, and some live in overcrowded orphanages which don't have the funding to properly care for the children.

I have always thought it would be nice to have my own kids one day, but I've recently started to wonder if I would actually feel comfortable bringing another child into this world when there are already children in need of homes.

Just like with animals, there is a rigorous selection process for adoptive patents that takes time, and you might have to wait a while to find your perfect match, which could put some people off adoption.
But I think it is more about people wanting to experience the miracle of pregnancy and birth themselves. Does that sound familiar? (the excuse of many backyard breeders...)
There's also the desire to pass on your genes instead of opting for an unknown 'mixed breed'. But I wholeheartedly believe that the way we raise our children/pets has a lot more influence on their behaviour than who their parents were.

I'm kind of surprised that I have never really thought about this before, being an adoptive parent of a shelter puppy and a strong advocate of the 'adopt, don't shop' philosophy.
I usually get frustrated when people say, "Why do you care about animals more than people?" but in this case, they might actually have a point if they brought it up.
Any thoughts?
ReplyQuote

tiedyedtofu tiedyedtofu NSW Posts: 221
2 24 Jul 2013
I am only 12 but if I had a child I would adopt a child. It is the same as a dog or cat, some animals stay in shelters all their life. Just the same as children.
ReplyQuote

SchmickMick SchmickMick NSW Posts: 19
3 24 Jul 2013
This is such a good point. And almost a bit too deep for 8 in the morning.

Although i agree, there are lots of kids out there that need a good family and secure home, i wonder hit i would feel if people were lining up to take my kids away from me.

Im 24, married, my wife had a daughter who was 1 year old when we met. Now we have a second baby on the way, my first her second, due in about 4 weeks.

I had never thought of adoption as an option for us because
1. Before we met i didn't think i wanted to have children
2. As i said she already had a child. Hence I changed my mind about having kids.

We decided 2 kids would be our limit.

Such a thought provoking topic, this will be in my mind for weeks no doubt.
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
4 24 Jul 2013
I actually think about this a lot.

I have no plans to have children, but I long ago decided that if I ever changed my mind on that, I would want to adopt. There are so many children in need of a safe, loving home, and let's face it, growing up in foster care or as a ward of the state is never the healthiest environment for a child.

Although I believe that a big part of the reason that not many people are willing to adopt is that it is an extremely long, difficult and expensive process here in Australia. From what I've heard, anyway.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
5 24 Jul 2013
I too think about this one a fair bit. I think it's completely unethical to have many children but you've also got to remember that in Australia we do have more resources. It might be a different matter if resources were shared equally around the world but they're not and when Australia needs more people the government comes in with baby bonuses etc. rather than letting more foreigners into the country.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
6 24 Jul 2013
Yeah the human population crises really scares me. My greatest fear.

But i think it is important to remember that adoption is quite hard in Australia. Internally there is very little adoption, i remember reading that in 2009 there was only something like 16 adoptions. Wow. And international adoption can be quite expensive. But i guess if you can't afford a few thousand dollars for that you can't really afford to have kids in the first place. Adoption overseas is also becoming more and more competitive, and there is in many countries more demand than supply as governments try to assist people in keeping their children.

I'd like to adopt a child overseas though. There are still many who need a loving family. But i'd like to try fostering first to see if i'd be a good parent figure or not!
ReplyQuote

Ariadne Ariadne SA Posts: 148
7 25 Jul 2013
I have one child whom I had when I was fairly young, it wasn't a planned pregnancy but obviously I chose to go through with it. I wouldn't have any more because having already raised one as a single parent I know how precarious it can be to choose to be a parent. You can't predict what will happen to you and your child relies on you 100%. With one child you can at least give them some garauntees with regard to educational choices etc. because you can devote your money solely to them.

Truthfully I think alot of people live in fairyland with regard to their expectations about family size. I have to say it does seem a bit selfish and childish to me when people say things like "I want four children!"...it sounds like "I want a pony/puppy/kitten!" and the same issues come up: can you afford it, do you have the kind of lifestyle that is good for a child etc.

Adoption is good in principle, BUT some aspects of it bother me. How much of a real choice do people in developing nations have? Maybe if we worked harder to ensure that these people had good access to healthcare, education and (god forbid) a living wage then there might be alot less children in need of a home.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au