Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Teacup or Miniature Pigs

Is it cruel?

1 - 6 of 6 posts

emily.b emily.b WA Posts: 3
1 27 Aug 2013
Hey guys,

I just wanted some opinions on wether people think the breeding of mini pigs is cruel?

Obviously in  circumstances where they are deliberately underfed is cruel, but do you think it is cruel if runts of the litter and simply bred with other runts?

Just wanted opinions as I am interested in buying one,

Thanks
ReplyQuote

d2 d2 VIC Posts: 4
2 27 Aug 2013
There is no such thing as a miniature pig they are either inbred or simply starved to maintain there size most people that buy one find that 12 months later they no longer have a miniature pig but a 100kg medium sized pig.  Longterm they will not grow as big as a normal pig but this is more to do with the breeding (selecting the smaller males and females to reproduce).  If your looking for a pet your better off going for a niche breed like the Wessex Saddleback or Duroc there much friendlier and there black pigmentation will help protect from sunburn
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
3 27 Aug 2013
I have a have a "mini" pig that is taller then our dog which is a St. Bernard, I got Shilo nearly 4 years ago and he was suppose to be a mini pig and i can tell you that he definally is not tongue But never the less i love him to the moon and back and he is my special boy, From looking at his bone structure, conformation and colouring i think he is crossed with a wild boar happy I would never recommend getting a "mini" pig as there is no such thing. I had countless emails last year from people begging me to take there pigs as they grew to big, became destructive and aggressive or where to much to handle, Pigs are not ment to be kept in town or in the city, they are very smart and curious animals and need large open pastures to root up the ground, play, eat and socialize in. Shilo is in a large acreage paddock with 3 sheep i rescued and he does everything with them, i personally find it extremely cruel how people house pigs on there own as they crave socialization. I would personally reccomend not getting a "mini" pig.

Please think twice about getting a "mini" pig as they don't stay small and do grow as big and alot of the time larger then a large dog, also remember pigs are NOT ment to be that small and it  does create health issues for the piggy.

In the few instances where a very small pig has been bred, it has been the result of inbreeding or very concentrated cross breeding. These pigs tend to be sickly and unhealthy pigs with a myriad of health problems and very, very short life spans. The “teacup” or “micro-mini” pig does not exist, nor has any one successfully bred a healthy and normal pig this size.

Breeders are only in business to make money. They will lie to you and tell you anything to make you want to buy from them. They have been known to tell people that their pigs are "micro-minis" or "teacup pigs" and that their pigs will get no more than a few Kgs. They will show you the cutest teeniest tiniest newborn piglets,then show you the parents of the piglets. Keep in mind that pigs can breed when they are only 3-4 months of age. Therefore, naturally if they have bred the pigs at 3-4 months of age, the parents will obviously still be fairly small, yet the breeder will tell you this is the “full-grown size” of those cutest teeniest tiniest piglet’s parents, without telling you the age of the parents nor mentioning the fact these pigs continue grow until 3-4 years of age.

Every year hundreds, if not thousands, of mini pigs are abandoned, "thrown away" or die, due to lack of information and knowledge. Many pigs are abandoned because buyers had unrealistic expectations, or were given the wrong facts (like the ridiculous statement: "a pig will stay small if you feed it less,"). Remember that under feeding causes malnutrition and sickness. This is why i would  strongly suggest ADOPTING as opposed to buying from breeders. Shelters, sanctuaries & foster care facilities are overflowing with pigs that have been abandoned & neglected because these so-called "micro-mini" or "teacup pigs" got “too big.”

Here is a couple of pictures of shilo  > http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/photo.php?&owner=26289&img=6536

>http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/photo.php?&owner=26289&img=6208

In this photo even when he is laying down you can kinda get a idea how big he is happy > http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/photo.php?&owner=26289&img=6135
ReplyQuote

emily.b emily.b WA Posts: 3
4 27 Aug 2013
Thanks so much, that's really helpful happy
ReplyQuote

ChelseaK ChelseaK VIC Posts: 79
5 27 Aug 2013
OinkMoo said:
I have a have a "mini" pig that is taller then our dog which is a St. Bernard, I got Shilo nearly 4 years ago and he was suppose to be a mini pig and i can tell you that he definally is not tongue But never the less i love him to the moon and back and he is my special boy, From looking at his bone structure, conformation and colouring i think he is crossed with a wild boar happy I would never recommend getting a "mini" pig as there is no such thing. I had countless emails last year from people begging me to take there pigs as they grew to big, became destructive and aggressive or where to much to handle, Pigs are not ment to be kept in town or in the city, they are very smart and curious animals and need large open pastures to root up the ground, play, eat and socialize in. Shilo is in a large acreage paddock with 3 sheep i rescued and he does everything with them, i personally find it extremely cruel how people house pigs on there own as they crave socialization. I would personally reccomend not getting a "mini" pig.

Please think twice about getting a "mini" pig as they don't stay small and do grow as big and alot of the time larger then a large dog, also remember pigs are NOT ment to be that small and it  does create health issues for the piggy.

In the few instances where a very small pig has been bred, it has been the result of inbreeding or very concentrated cross breeding. These pigs tend to be sickly and unhealthy pigs with a myriad of health problems and very, very short life spans. The “teacup” or “micro-mini” pig does not exist, nor has any one successfully bred a healthy and normal pig this size.

Breeders are only in business to make money. They will lie to you and tell you anything to make you want to buy from them. They have been known to tell people that their pigs are "micro-minis" or "teacup pigs" and that their pigs will get no more than a few Kgs. They will show you the cutest teeniest tiniest newborn piglets,then show you the parents of the piglets. Keep in mind that pigs can breed when they are only 3-4 months of age. Therefore, naturally if they have bred the pigs at 3-4 months of age, the parents will obviously still be fairly small, yet the breeder will tell you this is the “full-grown size” of those cutest teeniest tiniest piglet’s parents, without telling you the age of the parents nor mentioning the fact these pigs continue grow until 3-4 years of age.

Every year hundreds, if not thousands, of mini pigs are abandoned, "thrown away" or die, due to lack of information and knowledge. Many pigs are abandoned because buyers had unrealistic expectations, or were given the wrong facts (like the ridiculous statement: "a pig will stay small if you feed it less,"). Remember that under feeding causes malnutrition and sickness. This is why i would  strongly suggest ADOPTING as opposed to buying from breeders. Shelters, sanctuaries & foster care facilities are overflowing with pigs that have been abandoned & neglected because these so-called "micro-mini" or "teacup pigs" got “too big.”

Here is a couple of pictures of shilo  > http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/photo.php?&owner=26289&img=6536

>http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/photo.php?&owner=26289&img=6208

In this photo even when he is laying down you can kinda get a idea how big he is happy > http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/photo.php?&owner=26289&img=6135
oh my gosh soooo cute  love
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
6 28 Aug 2013
breeding in itself is cruel. So yes.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au