Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Help for Horse Rescue in Melbourne

Foal in need of help.

1 - 6 of 6 posts

..SaraH.. ..SaraH.. VIC Posts: 10
1 31 Oct 2013
Does anyone know who I can contact to rescue a foal? It's down the road from my parents house in Pearcedale / Tooradin area. It has an injured back leg, can barely walk & can't get to the mother to drink.  And is in a huge paddock with many other horses and a stallion. Really distressing to see it struggling. Spoken to the owners and they don't care basically. Have tried RSPCA and HOPE but apparently there is nothing they can do at this stage. Any advice as to who to contact or what to do would be appreciated. Thanks.
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
2 1 Nov 2013
Would Animal Liberation Vic be able to help? I'm sure they would at least be able to give you some advice..? Or Edgar's Mission perhaps?
ReplyQuote

MaxineSullivan MaxineSullivan VIC Posts: 5
3 2 Nov 2013
Sara, I hope someone came to your aid with helping this horse. I'm helping to sponsor horses at a horse rescue charity in Queensland, but apart from that I don't know where you could turn to. I was under the impression that if the RSPCA were called they would be able to charge the owners with neglect, otherwise what use are they? Could you call the media perhaps? Usually that's what it takes. Good luck and I pray the horse has been helped. Thank you for trying.
ReplyQuote

4 2 Nov 2013
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. The RSPCA came to the property and filmed the foal and agreed that it was a cruel situation yet there was nothing illegal happening and nothing they could do. Anyway now the foal has disappeared from the paddock. I am hoping the owners have moved it to a confined area and are seeking medical care. But for some reason I do not think that is the case. Either way I hope it is no longer suffering. It's so heartbreaking that people don't understand that having animals is a privilege not a right. If they do not have the intention of taking care of them then they should not have them at all.
ReplyQuote

MaxineSullivan MaxineSullivan VIC Posts: 5
5 2 Nov 2013
Sara, what a situation! Time and time again I hear that the RSPCA can do nothing because of the law, yet this is something I don't think the majority of people know about. I'd like to think a lot of people would care if they saw an animal suffering. Why can't the RSPCA investigate further and make sure the owners are accountable for the horse? It's crazy and heartbreaking. All we can do right now is say a prayer with the hope that the animal is safe and bless it with love.
ReplyQuote

6 23 Nov 2013
So it's been a while since this happened. It has now been found out that these people were also running a puppy farm on the property. All the dogs were in terrible condition and have been taken from the owners. They have also been issued with a 10 year ban of owning any dogs. As great as this is they still have many horses on the property and are continuing to breed them. These people obviously have no idea how to properly care for animals and have no concern for the welfare of these horses. They are just a money making scheme to them. The puppy farm article was in the herald sun and it got shut down due to so many people complaining about the state the puppies were in. Injured and literally covered in fleas. I figure if enough people complain about these people that something will have to get done about the horses too. The property is on Baxter Tooradin road between cannons creek and warneet. Next to Browns Sawdust. If any animal lovers out there feel like calling RSPCA to try and have these horses removed from these heartless people please do. I'm sure every call and complaint will make them look into it further in the future.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au