Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Is Blackfish Propoganda?

And Bindi partnering up with Seaworld!

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Veggie Veronica Veggie Veronica NSW Posts: 108
1 8 Mar 2014
Seaworld has released a website against the documentary, pointing out all the mistakes. It's actually pretty legit, and I half agree with it.
http://seaworld.com/en/truth/truth-about-blackfish/
And, did you hear? Bindi has partnered with Seaworld! What are your thoughts?
I think it is still generally wrong to keep animals in captivity, in zoos and such. What do you think?
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/121/677/897/bindi-irwin-please-step-down-as-seaword-ambassador/
orcawhale
ReplyQuote

ox.kylie.xo ox.kylie.xo QLD Posts: 861
2 9 Mar 2014
I havnt actually seen blackfish, so can't really give input there but another side of the coin I would like to point out is while yes I'm against bindi's decision I don't completely understand why people are against the exploitation of whales but yet have no problem with her being all for the exploitation of croc's.... why be ok with one animal species being exploited but not the other? I'm against it all, while yes I have heard that Irwin's sometime help animals in need of care but that still doesn't make it ok to keep animals in captivity for the purpose of pure human enjoyment... I personally think that holding an animal in captivity should be purely for if the animal is injured (for its own safety) and should not in anyway be exploited for human enjoyment... Also another thing that I think would be awesome is if they were caught trying to harm an animal to keep them in jail... And while yes you could argue that 'it's there natural way' and to that I would reply 'no sorry, I'm talking evolution; we too were once that way but have now integrated laws that can result in jail time if found breaking these laws'... And if your reply to that be 'but they don't understand laws' to that I respond 'well once we too, if propositioned with laws we wouldn't understand them either untill of course it was explained... Also if your reply is well they can't understand us so how could the laws be explained I would say 'that's incorrect, we talk to them everyday... By rewarding good behavior and punishing bad... Which teases them if they want a praise or a treat then you must do the right thing... Not to mention animals are extremely smart, if provided with an obsticle 'laws' they will try and find a way to live arround them so they don't get locked up thus 'abiding by the laws' happy evolution here we come... Harmony amoung all life forms! If anyone has a side of this argument that I may have not thought of I would love to hear it happy as this is of extreme interest to me.
ReplyQuote

tiedyedtofu tiedyedtofu NSW Posts: 221
3 9 Mar 2014
Some of the stuff in Blackfish was slightly staged but at the same time the bottom line for me is: No whale should be in captivity. So everything seaworld states does not matter to me as they still have killer whales performing.
ReplyQuote

AC AZZA AC AZZA VIC Posts: 158
4 9 Mar 2014
I think Blackfish was well made but it was definterly biased as a REAL documentary normally focus's on both sides not just one.But it was still a much needed film.

Regarding Binidi Irwin I think she is siding with Sea World  for the education programs they have of wildlife and even though she may not know exaclty what Sea World do, given her intelligence and personality I would be astonished if she didnt find out or know something we didnt. Paul Watson defended her decision, so therefore I do tongue

Zoos and captive animals I have no problem with ,IF they are housed in proper conidtions, animals like whales,dolphins,sharks, seals ,big cats ,just roam too big of a territory to be able to be confinded to the CURRENT standards of captivity.

I have no problems with animals such as snakes or geckos, especially who are prey animals and will live a much fuller & longer life free from harm than they otherwise would be.

It will be very interesting to see when farming is "permantly shut down" and then we abolish zoos, which animals dont go extinct. Basically all farm animals are buggered, sheep especially. Pigs will do alright.

I support zoos who take care of their captive animals properly and have adequate to good conservation programs.

In regards to that website, read carefully how Sea World have worded their information, saying Sea World never stole animals from the wild by Sea World, it never states however how those "indepdent contractors " had those whales.

Yeah thats my two cents from a bumpy ipad on a bumpy train ahaha
ReplyQuote

ryttu3k ryttu3k NSW Posts: 18
5 19 Apr 2014
Of course Seaworld is going to try to write rebuttals - if people realise how sadistic and wrong it is to make sapient beings perform circus tricks, they'd go out of business! Blackfish was an amazing documentary, and I think it's a must-see for basically everyone.

And I'm not surprised that Bindi Irwin has aligned herself with them. The Irwins have NEVER been actually animal advocates, they exploit them too badly.
ReplyQuote

noddysmiley noddysmiley SA Posts: 75
6 25 Apr 2014
AC AZZA said:
Zoos and captive animals I have no problem with ,IF they are housed in proper conidtions, animals like whales,dolphins,sharks, seals ,big cats ,just roam too big of a territory to be able to be confinded to the CURRENT standards of captivity.

I have no problems with animals such as snakes or geckos, especially who are prey animals and will live a much fuller & longer life free from harm than they otherwise would be.
Pretty much dead on my beliefs as well, except I have read that keeping reptiles under artificial heating can reduce their lifespan considerably. I've no idea whether this affects, for instance, bearded dragons and bluetongues kept in open air enclosures though.

I haven't seen blackfish either, but the size of an animal like an orca just makes me believe they're unlikely to have their needs fulfilled in captivity. I'm disappointed in the Irwins, and I don't think Steve would've agreed to this if he was still around (not that he was perfect either, his early work with relocating crocs was good though). I would point the finger at financial difficulties. Australia Zoo hasn't been making enough money to support itself, or so I've heard, so they've had to make a seemingly dodgy deal to get by.
ReplyQuote

cs_anticap cs_anticap QLD Posts: 7
7 25 Apr 2014
Ok, I bought Blackfish from my local JBHIFI store so, I've watched it. Anyway, persoanlly, I do belive there is a little propaganda, some of it is quite obvious too! Also, many Procaps belive its 100% false as well.. Pros say its their favourite "comedy" film. Theres nothing funny about it at all!

Here's what I've found... Gabriela (The Director) was very limited to what footage was availible, Seaworld wouldn't give her anything so it's mainly YouTube footage.Some of it is Archive Footage from previous staff, not Seaworld.

Many people question Tillikums Capture. Seaworld hasn't got Orcas from the wild in more then 30yrs, They also weren't the original captures either. They took Tilly in after "Sealand" in Victoria,  Canada took him in. That was where his killed his first Victim. Seaworld knew perfectky well he was capable of killing, they stated they'd only use him for breeding. They lied. He was turned into a performance whale and killed again! This time it was his Trainer, Dawn. When Seaworld went to court over it, they blamed Dawn. Clearly, it was their fault for letting previous killer perform again. He also killed a young man called "Daniel Dukes." It's belived Daniel snuck into the park and had a "Skinny Dip" with Tilly in the dead of night...

Recent news stories state that they have drugged 2 of their whales with anti-depressents. Tillikum was one of the 2 whales. Also, they Artificially Inseminated a young, female Orca by the name of Kalia. She's just 9yrs old, Wild Orcas usually don't give birth until Late Teens/Early Twenies.

The point is, It's a money driven industry, The Whales are basically Slaves. They're surviving, Not Living. #FreeTilly ♥
ReplyQuote

The British Aussie The British Aussie SA Posts: 212
8 26 Apr 2014
noddysmiley said:
AC AZZA said:

Pretty much dead on my beliefs as well, except I have read that keeping reptiles under artificial heating can reduce their lifespan considerably. I've no idea whether this affects, for instance, bearded dragons and bluetongues kept in open air enclosures though.
I completely disagree, animals such as whales, dolphins, sharks, big cats etc should NEVER be in captivity. If it is not possible for the entire area an animal would normally roam to be mimicked then no animal should be in captivity. It's unnatural and against nature. And the same goes with reptiles, I would not want to be confined for the rest of my life so why would I do this to an animal when it is against their nature? Sitting a lizard in a tank rather than letting it be free and to bask in the natural light and sun is like chickens that are kept in barns their whole lives, unnatural and cruel confinement. I know many will feel different on this but that is just how I personally feel on the matter.
ReplyQuote

BambiLove BambiLove NSW Posts: 1
9 26 Apr 2014
Opening sentence, SW say they are a harmless environment while also mentioning the tragic death of a trainer. Good job!

They claim that Blackfish is propaganda so in retaliation, they’re going to fight back with propaganda? I skimmed through the…uh…rebuttal(?) – The whole thing was a lot of big words with little information.

And as for Bindi… She was in a free Willy film (a terrible one!) but regardless, an anti-captivity film. So her partnering up with SW just makes me laugh. Bindi’s film (Free Willy – Escape from Pirate Cove) basically makes a mockery of SW – yet SW have no problem with having Bindi as an ambassador?
ReplyQuote

Cow Hugger Cow Hugger SA Posts: 346
10 27 Apr 2014
All i heard in the videos and got from the typed information is "we don't abuse our slaves, we love them"
It's no surprise they tried to "save" their image, they don't like losing money.
Blackfish is propaganda,  but so is seaworlds retaliation. In blackfish, they say they tried numerous times to actually get seaworlds perspective.. but they always denied. (perhaps this was so they could later slag the film as "propaganda")
https://www.thedodo.com/exclusive-blackfish-the-cove-c-399531056.html?xrs=RebelMouse_tw#exclusive-blackfish-the-cove-c-399531056.html

And as for Bindi irwin? As someone else said, she exploits plently of non-human animals at Australia zoo... so it's not that surprising she's teamed up with them.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au